Equipment prices/baseline equipment

Surviving in the post-apocalyptic music economy

Moderator: Bob Olhsson

keks

Equipment prices/baseline equipment

Post by keks »

Hi there,

it's funny (well kinda) I was just watching Rick Beato in his new video about making a living in the industry in 2019:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6c0Iy6Q65E[/youtube]

14 minutes in he talks about the necessity of buying gear to get great tones for broke musicians.
Now, he has a couple of Sovteks and Sound City amps and 10-15 years ago they would have been ridiculously cheap.

And this kinda makes me wonder:
Earnings in the industry keep on nose diving except for the few who successfully ride the moody influencer wave.
Used market prices keep on skyrocketing.
I have traded a bunch of pedals and stuff for margins around 50%.
Who buys all this shit?

OTOH, with all the fluctuations of a fashion driven gear market I have seen some prices drop again.
Older, not so famous dynamic mics have become pretty cheap at times and I blame this partly on the disappearing of Senap's thread on the Womb forums.
:gh:

But that really made me wonder,
what is the piece of equipment that you guys and gals get the most mileage/return of investment/improvement of workflow from?

All the best,
the keks
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

Is there any indication that guy knows anything?
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I think his claim to fame is having perfect pitch, and a song I can't stand called Carolina by Parmalee. Or maybe just his youtube channel.

I really like my magic pair of computer speakers of 2000ish vintage. My mixes sound like my mixes everywhere I play them, for better or worse. Way better than NS10s. I've gotten plenty of ROI on them. I won't say what they are, lest I start a craze :rofl:

Maybe my Soundcraft 200. 500 bucks after recap and new beefy PSU. Nothing offensive about its sound compared to cheaper (mainly newer) boards I've used, and I get to push faders.

Plebeian for sure.
keks

Post by keks »

weedywet wrote: December 23rd, 2018, 8:53 pm Is there any indication that guy knows anything?
Not that I'm aware of.