meloco_go

Apple to drop iTunes?

Post by meloco_go »

http://www.novinite.com/articles/186386 ... es+in+2019
Hope bandcamp will still be around.
I don't like streaming services :eyeroll:
nobby

Post by nobby »

I don't know. I've heard that for a couple of years now. Different things from different sources, nobody sounds really certain.

Apple gets 30% of gross for a platform that's working. I would think that if the demand is low they could mothball a couple of servers or something.

Here's an interesting survey from 2016. This was conducted by Business Insider. It takes into consideration all US adults, and it's about listening habits:
iTunes - 30%

Pandora – 23%

Spotify – 13%

Google Play – 12%

Amazon Prime Music – 9%

Apple Music – 7%

Other – 6%

Now don’t misunderstand these numbers. It doesn’t mean that people are buying songs from iTunes, just that they’re consuming what they’ve already purchased there.

There are some total surprises with these numbers though. First of all, Pandora rates almost twice as high as Spotify, and Google Play and Amazon Prime Music have similar usage numbers as Spotify. Apple Music still lags behind.

When we look at the year end streaming numbers from Nielsen and the IFPI it’s very easy to think that streaming is all everyone does these days, but as this study shows, there’s more to music consumption than that.

Some caveats with this data though. First, it’s from September of last year, and second, it takes into account all US adults. These numbers would be very skewed towards streaming if it looked at only Millennials and younger (those that listen to music much more than older adults). Still it’s important to keep in mind that as a popular music platform, iTunes isn’t dead yet.

Read more: http://music3point0.com/2017/02/22/popu ... z528QHTzG1
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Yeah, but it also makes sense for them to drop it. It's not like they're gonna lose many customers anyway. Most people under the Apple umbrella already use their cloud to share photos and stuff. So, all they will do is let them know that they don't need to buy music anymore... they can just listen to ALL OF IT from their apple device, when they want, with he the option of a locked download if they wanna take it offline.
It's better to charge someone 10 dlls every month that... maybe 50 every now and then? I don't know. I'm sure they have the math for this figured out somewhere.
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

There have been rumors that they were going all streaming. That said, streaming's biggest champion, Jimmy Iovine just quit!
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson