Webinar for 20 October 2017

Surviving in the post-apocalyptic music economy

Moderator: Bob Olhsson

nobby

Webinar for 20 October 2017

Post by nobby »

This is a free Webinar about how to make it in music.

I'm skeptical of these sorts of things but a friend who has been successful in the music biz "liked" it and, again, it's free.

It's schedules for 2:00 PM EST and will be live. You can send in questions which she claims she will answer in real time.

https://resources.savvymusicianacademy. ... nar-tribe/
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Well I did some google-fu and this Leah McHenry person seems to make a business out of this. And apparently in some courses she basically tries to sell you her other courses. For a fee, naturally. Maybe it would be good education on how to online market your online marketing business, if you watch from a different angle.

Same old same old...

Could be wrong.

And if this Leah is the same as this Leah:

Eh.
nobby

Post by nobby »

That was my initial impression, but I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and watch her webinar.

However, I forgot. 2:00 PM is a kind of awkward time, anyway.

But a quick search seemed to indicate she was more known for her courses then making money from her music. Since her live program supported viewers sending questions she said she'd answer in real time, I wanted to ask where the 6 figures she said she made from internet music came from.

The internet seems rife with such people.
I see come-ons from supposed genius mix engineers with questionable discographies selling questionable methodologies...

Internet advertising is cheap, apparently.

I think it all got started with the "Become a real estate tycoon with no money down" craze in the daze before the internet took off when cable was king.

Before that, it was books.

"How to get rich quick" -- Write a best selling book about how to get rich quick.

My plan is to write a book on how to write a book on how to sell seminars about how you can potentially get people to pay money for webinars teaching people how to make videos to get people to pay for webinars about making money in the music business.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: October 21st, 2017, 7:31 amSince her live program supported viewers sending questions she said she'd answer in real time, I wanted to ask where the 6 figures she said she made from internet music came from.
I was thinking the same (If you're making so much money, you're just doing this as a side project out of the kindness of your heart, right?), but the stream wouldn't load in my browser so I said screw it. I saw some of the chat afterwards and they were all talking about "automation" (I think using various "spread it everywhere!!!" systems and bots and the like) - as well as using FB advertising. Kinda sad really - both that you might have to do this and that people are doing this. And that people are clamoring for education on how to do this, thinking that getting more and more technical in approach will somehow get them somewhere.

Really I think you'd be better off just getting gigs at the few places who don't first check your facebook page for megalikes and posting cheap-but-fun YouTube videos. At least neither is a huge waste of time. You might actually enjoy it.
nobby wrote: October 21st, 2017, 7:31 amMy plan is to write a book on how to write a book on how to sell seminars about how you can potentially get people to pay money for webinars teaching people how to make videos to get people to pay for webinars about making money in the music business.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ... potentially
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

I'm also sceptical of such. Everything we do is pretty unique. It is is probably more about agility and the encouragement and preservation of "feel" than anything else.
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
nobby

Post by nobby »

It seems that she's a liar and a fraud.

People are getting vastly more Youtube views than she is without getting paid by Youtube, no money there.

She has 98 followers on Spotify, none there either.

She crowd sourced $27k for a full length album. Fans got a couple hundred overpriced CDs, a few dozen t-shirts and various merch packages. If you look at the details, it seems unlikely that she did much better than break even.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/full ... pdates/all
nobby

Post by nobby »

It seems that actually savvy people would steer clear...
Meepsmom 3 points 11 months ago

I signed up and paid for her course. The course does not teach you anything that you couldn't find out for yourself by searching the internet. She relies heavily on facebook marketing information that is available from facebook itself. They advertise a 60 day refund policy but in order to get your refund you have to prove that you did all of the course lessons and applied the knowledge. You can't do this within a 60 day window so there is essentially no real or fair refund policy at all. Save your money. You will regret spending it here.
RibbonMike 3 points 10 months ago

I also signed up and paid for this. What follows is a constant stream of upselling bullshit. After the 60 day refund period (which is also bullshit) you will be told the course that you paid for to learn the skills she shares is only the basic course... You will be spammed to join the next course, The Superfan System, for another $497... In the meantime she will try to sell ANOTHER course about making videos.. No wonder she makes $100k a year...it's not from her music, it's from mugs like me falling for her bullshit courses... Don't you fall for it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicM ... worth_497/
nobby

Post by nobby »

I love the amateurish edits throughout this video :hp:

She recommends paid advertising to promote yourself -- at this point I'm thinking she never broke even with her music.

She home schools her kids (where she gets her "oratory skills"), probably teaching them that no matter how ignorant and dishonest you are, you can grow up to be president of the United States.

Would it be unkind to call her a fucking bloodsucking parasite?

I wonder how long my comment is going to stay at the botton of this video like a dead skunk :lol:

[edit] It was gone in seconds. She "curates" her videos. She undoubtedly has some app that alerts her when a comment is made and she deletes ones she doesn't like.
You don't have hundreds of thousands of fans throughout the world. That's an obvious lie based on your Youtube views and the 98 fans following you on Spotify.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByVriDBKANQ
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

Curiously, there are no public comments! Everyone must be satisfied with her videos?
nobby

Post by nobby »

There must have been more negative comments than she could "hand curate" so she deactivated comments.

I wonder if she can delete the angry face "unlike" I put on her FB page when it crops up.

I just thought of a comment I can copy and paste any time something like this comes up.

"Can you teach us to commit consumer fraud?"
nobby

Post by nobby »

So far there isn't anything she's said that I haven't heard from numerous other sources over the past decade or so.

Including idiotic ideas like how a handful of "superfans" are going to sustain your career by consistently buying a thousand dollars worth of merch every year until you retire.

The one new thing I learned is that apparently if I sign in to Youtube to make a comment on a video, the person whose video it is can get my email address and use that to spam you.

Leah McHenry (success@savvymusicianacademy.com)To:you Details

Listen, we need to have a personal chat. I expect people who have the ears to hear will listen to the call and respond.

For the first time EVER… I’ll be sitting down with an elite group of students every month to focus on what it takes to completely turn up the fire hose on their music career and get all-out massive results.

Where would your music business be after a year if you had me, the SMA team, and a community of like-minded musicians helping you every step of the way?

Where will your music be in a year from now if you keep doing exactly what you're doing right now?

THIS is the program you need to take your business and life to the next level of unprecedented success – levels you can’t even comprehend at this point, but know that you need to get to!

I wanted to send you a reminder that our SPECIAL OFFER we made for you is expiring where you can get access to:

• The Full Online Musician Course (The Foundation)

• The Full Superfan System Course (Advanced Marketing for Musicians) *Pro Level*

• Our Tribe Community & Private Forum

• Monthly Q&A Coaching Day

• Monthly Student Reviews & Hot Seats

• And a LOT more…

See how here…

Also, if you missed the SUCCESSFUL ONLINE MUSICIAN EVENT...
Or… If you wanted to STUDY the training in more detail…
Good News.

You’re in luck! We just created a CLIFF NOTES version of the webclass you can DOWNLOAD and read…

Download the 6-Figure Music Business Cliff Notes Here >>

BUT… just like the replay, we’re pulling these offline Sunday night.

So, here’s a quick recap of what you need to do NOW:

1. Download (and print out) the Cliff Notes here >>
2. Watch the replay here >>

IMPORTANT - We take the page down Sunday...

Time is literally running out, so download and print this out ASAP.

XOXO,

Leah & SMA

P.S.- if the CLIFF NOTES are gone, then that means the deal ended… I apologize in advance if you miss it.

P.P.S. - The Savvy Tribe program covers:

• How to begin a music career online from ground zero
• How to use social media marketing without spending HOURS online
• How to get genuine likes, followers, and BUYERS of your music
• How to create Facebook campaigns that give you a return on your investment (Pro Level*)
• Become an expert in your niche market and create loyal fans for life
• How to create 5 or more streams of predictable income from your music & talent.

You really to see this.

I HIGHLY recommend you do it now -- we are pulling the Free Training Webcast video down Sunday night at Midnight!
I really to see this?

THE HORROR!

I missed the free training video to show me what I've known for years, including bullshit that has been discredited and refuted for years :right:
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

surely if you "turn up the fire hose" on your music career it will be extinguished?
nobby

Post by nobby »

Some of her copy is hilariously bad :lol:

Actually the first thing that came to mind was civil rights protests in the early to mid 1960s US.

Before the water cannon, they had firemen using fire hoses for "crowd control". Mind you, these were peaceful protests, not riots.

Leah will set the dogs loose on your music career!

http://ctl.laguardia.edu/mlk/gallery.htm
Attachments
02[1].jpg
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

That's Leah helping the Beach Boys out in the '60s

:mm2:
nobby

Post by nobby »

I think that was the Drifters.

The Beached Boys were too white for that kind of "help".
nobby

Post by nobby »

(snicker)
Attachments
con2.jpg
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

nobby wrote: October 24th, 2017, 10:04 pm(snicker)
Yeah. All you gotta do to make it in the music biz is to look like that.
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

*Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White???? *
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Guess it works in "business" too.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Made the mistake of using an email I actually check while trying to sign up for the stream.
Oh my gosh, I'm so excited to tell you about this!

Do you even realize that it’s never been a better time to be an INDEPENDENT musician?

Think about it…

Until a few short years ago, if you weren’t on a label, you had no chance of “making it” as a musician because it was really the only way to fund our albums and get the exposure and promotion we needed.

Today, we’re blessed with the internet! ...which enables us to easily find new fans and stay connected for life - all without selling out to corporate suits who couldn’t care less about our ability to express ourselves and stay true to our art..

And you better believe those corporate labels are scared as hell, because they know they’re becoming less and less relevant. They know we don’t need them anymore!

Since I’ve become a successful musician on my own, I’ve been approached multiple times by the top label in my genre (3 times in 2017 alone so far), and every time they ask me, I literally have no reason to say yes.
IT’S A BAD DEAL.

Why would I share the fruits of my labor with a label after I busted my BUTT to get where I am today -- all without them?
It's a profound moment when you can honestly look at a label offer and tell them.. “there's nothing you can do for me that I can’t do for myself.”

This can be you.

It’s time for you to be boldly independent.

It's your turn to reject label deals because you CAN. Because you really don't need them!
The first key to building independence as a musician is finding your tribe of superfans.
===========>
THE STRATEGY #1

What I'm about to tell you will feel counterintuitive.

First, I’ll tell you right now it’s not going to happen overnight. It takes some time to implement this. Chipping away at it.

Second, you need to start small. Very small.

Why?

Starting very small is the BEST way to become very well-known within a NICHE, which is exactly what you want.
It's not about becoming world famous. It only matters that you become famous within a tiny niche!!.

And that strategy is far more lucrative and more doable than trying to appeal to EVERYONE.

If you want to attract fans independently and quickly, you need to have an online presence within a miniature Eco-system!

It's a mini Eco-system you literally create through social media platforms, and one in particular.
FACEBOOK

THIS is where a lot of musicians go wrong...

They think Facebook and other social platforms are all about plugging their music all the time.
They invite all their friends and family, and high school friends, and complete strangers to their page
They are using their personal profile to promote their music (big no-no!!)
They have no idea what to post or when to post
They have no clue why they aren't getting any engagement
They have no common theme that brings people together on their page
They come across desperate and beg people to like, share, and follow them!

Believe me, I made ALL those mistakes when I started out.

So what is the answer then?

===============>
STRATEGY #2

Culture.

You will learn to build your own little culture AROUND your music.

This will make people FEEL something.
This is how you will give your new fans a way to escape their Monday grind at the office and smile at a niche-related post on your page.
This is EXACTLY how I built a following of over 124,000 fans on my Facebook page with over 1400 four and five star reviews!!

It’s really not that hard, all you need is someone to show you how to do it!

This is a strategy you will use for the long haul, no matter what you do with your music in the future!

That’s why I created a mini-course called Facebook for Musicians (FB4M) where in less than a day you can learn the exactly what to post to build a thriving fan community on Facebook that will turn into loyal fans that actually BUY your music.
I don't believe in devaluing my training, but today I really want to help you, so I lowered the price from $97 to just $17! (holy crap)

So if you’re hearing crickets on your page and wondering what to post ((and what NOT to post)) and when to post so you can actually start building engagement, here’s your chance to learn how to do that for cheaper than a few Big Macs.

I want to see you truly become independent, and that starts by you taking ownership of your music brand!
By the way, if you're wondering if you even have an audience for YOUR kind of music on Facebook, you should know they just surpassed 2 BILLION active users.

You have anxious fans waiting to meet you. Help them find your music now!

See you inside Facebook for Musicians ;)

XOX,

LEAH
This can be you
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

Wow, I think she really likes you!
nobby

Post by nobby »

Second, you need to start small. Very small.

Why?

Starting very small is the BEST way to become very well-known within a NICHE, which is exactly what you want.
It's not about becoming world famous. It only matters that you become famous within a tiny niche!!.

Call me skeptical but I'd like to see examples of this working for anyone. It didn't work for her.

Someone mentioned that she doesn't have a "poster child", someone who has achieved success using her courses. No blurb-worthy testimonials.

Even if she's trying the 'fake it 'til you make it' route, she needs more credibility than that, I think.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Gronk wrote: October 30th, 2017, 9:30 pm Wow, I think she really likes you!
Dirty rotten two timer - how could she do this to Nobby?!

If this is what a "special engagement with your fanbase" looks like, I'm out!
Don Hills

Post by Don Hills »

Never forget that they want your money, not you.
nobby

Post by nobby »

:lol:

She has 5 kids... let that sink in.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: November 4th, 2017, 4:56 amShe has 5 kids... let that sink in.
She sure did. Uh...

No, no, it's not spam. She's just engaging her audience.

"Are you ok?"
"How to build a MASSIVE email list"
"I'm removing you from my email list..."
"Are you stuck?" (on your email list, apparently) :lol:
Attachments
spam.JPG