corona virus

Don't let the neighbours see
John Eppstein

corona virus

Post by John Eppstein »

Is everyone OK?
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

*Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White???? *
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

Yes!
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

All quiet here in LA.

My local store was cleaned out of bottled water. Everyone is keeping their distances. I do have a few extra N95 masks lying around, should the need arise.
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

Toilet paper crisis here. Now that's Armageddon!
keks

Post by keks »

It's getting close here.
My wife had a case in her school, and they closed it for today and over the weekend to isolate contact persons.
We made a food schedule and shopping list for a quarantine.
As I have asthma I'm dab square in the risk group.
We'll see how this pans out.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I've heard one of the biggest problems is kids transmitting it to their grandparents.

A good tip is to make sure you get good/plenty of sleep. I think your immune system gets degraded by something like half if you don't.
Bruce Thomsen

Post by Bruce Thomsen »

All fine here for the most part. Wife is working from home for a month, kids are both now doing school on-line, wife reported me to HR for harassment after two days at home...it's glorious!

(I need to get out!)
"You do whatever you think is right, dear."
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

How are you guys?
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

We're OK!
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
nobby

Post by nobby »

Marked unsafe here in the Death Zone.

76,030 cases and 1,552 dead in my state, most of them within about 70 miles of here as of 11:24 AM 1st April 2020.

And they say we're just getting warmed up with things peaking around the middle of the month. The state requested 85 refrigerated trailers from FEMA for mortuary services. Some are already full. Elmhurst Hospital has been described as "apocalyptic" days ago.

6,713 confirmed cases in my county and 53 dead so far.

9,967 cases and 25 dead in Weedy's county. William has it worse because his son is an MD and faces danger on a regular basis.

And this is just a taste of things to come, authorities say.

To make matters worse, profoundly ignorant, utterly incompetent, vindictive, lying sociopath Trump sabotaged the response. He deliberately neutering the response mechanisms put in place by President Obama, like he reflexively, brainlessly undoes everything that Obama does to the best of his ability out of jealous spite, ignorance and greed -- dismantle the state to give the rich a tax break they don't need.

Two years ago Trump ordered the shutdown of the White House National Security Council's entire global health security unit.

the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services is a former pharmaceutical lobbyist and executive, since the Trump administration is the most corrupt in US history. He turned down an offer of early congressional funding assistance on 5th February. Got to be stingy to satisfy his rich sugar daddies.
Our doctors and nurses are in desperate need of masks, gloves and other personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect themselves from contracting the coronavirus while treating those who are ill. Some of them are trying to find it on eBay while others are pleading for help on social media.

The situation is so dire one New Jersey doctor described it as "sending medical professionals like lambs to the slaughterhouse." *

Concerns about a dwindling supply of PPE are not new. Back on February 7, the World Health Organization sounded alarm bells about "the limited stock of PPE," noting demand was 100 times higher than normal for this equipment.

Yet the same day as the WHO warning, the Trump administration announced that it was transporting to China nearly 17.8 tons (more than 35,000 pounds) of "masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials."
You have to realize that China gave Trump the red carpet treatment and granted his daughter patents, so he likes China.

NY voted for Hillary and is investigating Trump's crimes, so he hates NY. He may be thinking that if enough New Yorkers and Californians die, he could win the popular vote this time, because he's a stone cold sociopath.

And the pentagon is sitting on thousands of medical respirators that it can't send without petulant president Caligula's approval. He's probably saving them for states that voted for him.

He and the right wing propagandists have called it a "Democrat hoax", then said it was only one case and they had it contained, etc. because they were much more worried about spooking the stock market which they see as key to Trump's re-election than saving lives.

Evangelicals think God will protect them and that the godless Democrats are exaggerating to drive their savior who is going to make all abortions a crime, Trump, from office.

I could go on and on. They say to avoid too much social media and news because dwelling on it is bad for the psyche.

But it's hard to look away from a train wreck when you're on the train.

Anyway, I have a song to produce and that's enough venting for now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/opinions ... index.html
nobby

Post by nobby »

Stupid fucking lying prick...
President Donald Trump on Tuesday said he knew from the start that thousands of Americans could die from the novel coronavirus but downplayed the threat because he wanted to stay positive and be a "cheerleader" for the country.
At Tuesday's White House press briefing, Trump was asked whether he lulled Americans into a false sense of security by telling the public that the virus would go away quickly, even as it was clear the number of cases and death toll were on the rise.
"I knew everything. I knew it could be horrible, I knew it could be maybe good," Trump said. "I don't want to be a negative person."
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-a ... toVQt8QQDs
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

All the best to you people in the US dealing with this terrible affliction, and dealing with the corona virus as well.
nobby

Post by nobby »

Gronk wrote: April 1st, 2020, 8:38 pm All the best to you people in the US dealing with this terrible affliction, and dealing with the corona virus as well.
The two are inseparable, since president Jim Jones has probably multiplied the number of cases and deaths by his actions and inactions.

I hope your nation does a better job of dealing with it. I hope your evangelical PM doesn't think he can pray it away.

At the very least, I hope that he doesn't use Covid-19 as biological warfare against regions of his country that voted against him, like Trump does.
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

nobby wrote: April 1st, 2020, 5:00 pm Marked unsafe here in the Death Zone.

76,030 cases and 1,552 dead in my state, most of them within about 70 miles of here as of 11:24 AM 1st April 2020.

And they say we're just getting warmed up with things peaking around the middle of the month. The state requested 85 refrigerated trailers from FEMA for mortuary services. Some are already full. Elmhurst Hospital has been described as "apocalyptic" days ago.

6,713 confirmed cases in my county and 53 dead so far.

9,967 cases and 25 dead in Weedy's county. William has it worse because his son is an MD and faces danger on a regular basis.

And this is just a taste of things to come, authorities say.

To make matters worse, profoundly ignorant, utterly incompetent, vindictive, lying sociopath Trump sabotaged the response. He deliberately neutering the response mechanisms put in place by President Obama, like he reflexively, brainlessly undoes everything that Obama does to the best of his ability out of jealous spite, ignorance and greed -- dismantle the state to give the rich a tax break they don't need.

Two years ago Trump ordered the shutdown of the White House National Security Council's entire global health security unit.

the United States Secretary of Health and Human Services is a former pharmaceutical lobbyist and executive, since the Trump administration is the most corrupt in US history. He turned down an offer of early congressional funding assistance on 5th February. Got to be stingy to satisfy his rich sugar daddies.
Our doctors and nurses are in desperate need of masks, gloves and other personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect themselves from contracting the coronavirus while treating those who are ill. Some of them are trying to find it on eBay while others are pleading for help on social media.

The situation is so dire one New Jersey doctor described it as "sending medical professionals like lambs to the slaughterhouse." *

Concerns about a dwindling supply of PPE are not new. Back on February 7, the World Health Organization sounded alarm bells about "the limited stock of PPE," noting demand was 100 times higher than normal for this equipment.

Yet the same day as the WHO warning, the Trump administration announced that it was transporting to China nearly 17.8 tons (more than 35,000 pounds) of "masks, gowns, gauze, respirators, and other vital materials."
You have to realize that China gave Trump the red carpet treatment and granted his daughter patents, so he likes China.

NY voted for Hillary and is investigating Trump's crimes, so he hates NY. He may be thinking that if enough New Yorkers and Californians die, he could win the popular vote this time, because he's a stone cold sociopath.

And the pentagon is sitting on thousands of medical respirators that it can't send without petulant president Caligula's approval. He's probably saving them for states that voted for him.

He and the right wing propagandists have called it a "Democrat hoax", then said it was only one case and they had it contained, etc. because they were much more worried about spooking the stock market which they see as key to Trump's re-election than saving lives.

Evangelicals think God will protect them and that the godless Democrats are exaggerating to drive their savior who is going to make all abortions a crime, Trump, from office.

I could go on and on. They say to avoid too much social media and news because dwelling on it is bad for the psyche.

But it's hard to look away from a train wreck when you're on the train.

Anyway, I have a song to produce and that's enough venting for now.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/opinions ... index.html
Actually, Nobby, you're wrong about one thing - the Evangelicals. It's actually worse than you think.

The Evangelicals don't believe that god will protect them - oh, no! The Evangelicals see this as the coming of the End Times, in which all the people will be judged and either elevated to Heaven or cast into the Pit. They welcome this, because they KNOW that they will all be elevated into eternal (after)life in Heaven.

Which is to say that they're stone cold suicidally CRAZY and they believe they're winning.

The rest of your rant is pretty spot on.
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

keks

Post by keks »

Boy, from outside of the US this all looks pretty grim.
All the best for you guys!

Here in Krautistan we have a lockdown going for almost two weeks now, and spreading rates have been going down. We seem to have gone past the maximum of spreading for this wave, but we'll have to sit out the next two weeks and see how our ICUs fare. There are still beds available, but the thick end is coming in the next couple of days.
There's not much of a plan on how to proceed afterwards, up to now.

I'm pretty much self isolating here with my family and I hope that we'll stay healthy for long enough, to not need a ventilator when everyone else does, too.

Hang in there, guys and gals and stay safe!
nobby

Post by nobby »

John Eppstein wrote: April 4th, 2020, 7:40 am

Actually, Nobby, you're wrong about one thing - the Evangelicals. It's actually worse than you think.

The Evangelicals don't believe that god will protect them - oh, no! The Evangelicals see this as the coming of the End Times, in which all the people will be judged and either elevated to Heaven or cast into the Pit. They welcome this, because they KNOW that they will all be elevated into eternal (after)life in Heaven.

Which is to say that they're stone cold suicidally CRAZY and they believe they're winning.

The rest of your rant is pretty spot on.
"all the people will be judged and either elevated to Heaven or cast into the Pit. They welcome this, because they KNOW that they will all be elevated into eternal (after)life in Heaven.'

That's EXACTLY the same thing as god protecting them. Well okay, maybe a little better.

"It's actually worse than you think."

No, it isn't and you have no idea what I think. If you think you can read my mind, you are coming down with a case of Dunning-Kruger.
nobby

Post by nobby »

keks wrote: April 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm Boy, from outside of the US this all looks pretty grim.
All the best for you guys!

Here in Krautistan we have a lockdown going for almost two weeks now, and spreading rates have been going down. We seem to have gone past the maximum of spreading for this wave, but we'll have to sit out the next two weeks and see how our ICUs fare. There are still beds available, but the thick end is coming in the next couple of days.
There's not much of a plan on how to proceed afterwards, up to now.

I'm pretty much self isolating here with my family and I hope that we'll stay healthy for long enough, to not need a ventilator when everyone else does, too.

Hang in there, guys and gals and stay safe!
Last time I checked, Germany was doing a much better job of dealing with it with about half the number of fatalities for the number of known cases.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ger ... ocid=ientp

There is an article about the many ways the Trump and Xi administrations made things much worse than they had to be. It's a long article, but worth reading. There will be books on the topic.

https://newrepublic.com/article/157118/ ... s-pandemic
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

I hope that you are all ok. We have it pretty much under control here at the moment. New York sounds pretty grim.
nobby

Post by nobby »

Gronk wrote: April 19th, 2020, 1:17 am I hope that you are all ok. We have it pretty much under control here at the moment. New York sounds pretty grim.
The pictures of mass graves they dug with bulldozers on Hart Island are about the most shocking thing I've seen so far. Stacking coffins 3 high.

Rolling_beat is in Italy.

I think Knastratt is in Sweden.

I was surprised to see that Sweden decided that Covid-19 wasn't a big deal and they'd see how many people die before they take it seriously. Their Scandanavian neighbors are alarmed.
Attachments
graves.jpg
hart island.jpg
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

nobby wrote: April 19th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Gronk wrote: April 19th, 2020, 1:17 am I hope that you are all ok. We have it pretty much under control here at the moment. New York sounds pretty grim.
The pictures of mass graves they dug with bulldozers on Hart Island are about the most shocking thing I've seen so far. Stacking coffins 3 high.

Rolling_beat is in Italy.

I think Knastratt is in Sweden.

I was surprised to see that Sweden decided that Covid-19 wasn't a big deal and they'd see how many people die before they take it seriously. Their Scandanavian neighbors are alarmed.
Distressing news. Does anyone know how to contact them?

Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

It's no different than the flu would be IF we had no tests, vaccines, herd immunity or methods of treating the flu.

So what do we do?

Shut down the economy long enough to keep the hospitals functioning for everybody or let most of the customers die which would probably shut down the economy for good.
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview