Life is good...

Don't let the neighbours see
keks

Life is good...

Post by keks »

Hey guys and gals,

today two packages arrived, one is Bob Reynolds face-meltlingly great record Guitar Band and the other is a used Yamaha Pianocraft E400 mini HiFi which was just an absolute steal.
I just wired it to the "big speakers" in my living room and it sounds fucking amazing.
On Thursday I expect another package with a pair of used KEF C20, I hope they will play well with the Yamaha, but they were dirt cheap also.

Anyways, after quite some time of feeling "meh!" about it, I actually really enjoy listening to good music again.
This is really really cool. And it is so easy and so affordable to get an excellent quality playback system.
This will live in my workroom. Since I got my new computer I always had to grab the external CD drive which makes an awful lot of racket reading a CD and I just can't pay attention to mp3.
Now, I hit a button, pop a disk on the tray and be listening to music like in the good old days.
For a tiny fraction of the prices this stuff used to have...

:drinks:

I should have done this soo much earlier...

All the best,
the keks
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

Great!

Now, as far as old tech, I still have a sh*tload of cassettes. I wonder, maybe one day I should pick up an old Hi-Fi tape desk, I bet they are dirt cheap on ebay.
Surely the sonics still would be what can you get from 1/8". But that old top-level cassette desks looked so nice! And they were also so "mechanical" like a lot of tech and craftsmanship went into them!
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Nice. I've been looking out for a CD/cassette boombox for "care-free listening" recently. I still have rack units for each but want something to take into the bedroom/kitchen/backyard. I hear Panasonic and JVC are the top dogs in that realm.

Don't laugh, but I recently found a full-size cassette answering machine for $5 a week ago. Weighs a good ten pounds. I just wanted to mess with it (because it's neat-o), but it worked so well (after some tinkering) that I just left it plugged in. It'll take the sharp edge right off of a telemarketing spiel.

I've heard some great sounding cassettes, by the way.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I had a Panasonic dual cassette answering machine with full size cassettes. I only got rid of it because it stopped working. Of course they sounded better than digital -- the digital answering machines had the worst resolution to allow the most recording time for the least money. If cell phones of digital phone answering "machine" sounded any worse, you'd think someone hooked a battery up to your fillings :uhoh:

Additionally, digital lets you instantly skip messages instead of ff but cassette lets you rewind part of the message without having to go to the beginning like the typical digital answering device.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I recently bought a few CDs because I wanted to see what my tracks sound like on my older brother's fancy stereo. He's set up to play CDs and movies/ tv. No computer in his living room.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Yeah, mine's a Panasonic. It detects the beeps between messages and lets you skip to the beginning of a message with FF/RW + play. It also has a dictaphone mode, and can record phone convos. Could be useful for brain storming sessions, or blackmail :lol:

It has a line-out too. Could be used for a genuine telephone effect, if that's still allowed.

Speaking of cassettes, I just got an email from Recording the Masters saying they're going to start manufacturing cassettes based on the SM900 (I believe) formula. What a world!