Rock is the English language of genres

Your favourite artists, band politics, etc.
nobby

Rock is the English language of genres

Post by nobby »

Because this deserves its own thread.

English has vastly more words than any other language.
The reason for this, is it steals words from all the other languages.

You will notice for example that the English word 'rendezvous' looks a lot like the French word 'rendezvous' and it's pronounced the same. To top it off, it means exactly the same thing.

Rock & Roll started out as just a marketing phrase to sell late 1940s - early '50s R&B to white kids. But because it was Pop music, meaning Popular music it started incorporating other styles pretty much from the start.

I'm thinking of a very popular (as in still world famous) Rock band from the late 20th century that incorporated, in addition to old fashioned Rock & Roll, Blues, Classical, Folk, Jazz and Eastern music.

And I bet you a Rock & Roll donut hole that your first guess is wrong.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 12:26 amI'm thinking of a very popular (as in still world famous) Rock band from the late 20th century that incorporated, in addition to old fashioned Rock & Roll, Blues, Classical, Folk, Jazz and Eastern music.

Wait, wait! Don't tell me...!
Give me a minute :uh:
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

The Police? :lol: :lol: :lol:

How late are we talking...post 50s? 80s?
nobby

Post by nobby »

My donut hole is safe :cool:

And you get my point.
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

nobby wrote: November 22nd, 2017, 12:26 am Because this deserves its own thread.

English has vastly more words than any other language.
The reason for this, is it steals words from all the other languages.

You will notice for example that the English word 'rendezvous' looks a lot like the French word 'rendezvous' and it's pronounced the same. To top it off, it means exactly the same thing.

Rock & Roll started out as just a marketing phrase to sell late 1940s - early '50s R&B to white kids. But because it was Pop music, meaning Popular music it started incorporating other styles pretty much from the start.

I'm thinking of a very popular (as in still world famous) Rock band from the late 20th century that incorporated, in addition to old fashioned Rock & Roll, Blues, Classical, Folk, Jazz and Eastern music.

Stones?
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

*Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White???? *