MOTU 828x interface troubles - anyone have any ideas?

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
unitymusic

MOTU 828x interface troubles - anyone have any ideas?

Post by unitymusic »

So just recently my interface stopped responding and 'interfacing' with my computer. When I turn it on [with my computer off] it starts making this clicking sound through my speakers that seems to coincide with the from panel screen flashing - which would normally just stay lit up when I turned it on - before I turned my computer on. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Short video below:

upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Sick beat. I'd say it has developed a mind of its own and is studying to be a producah.

That's a tough one...my only guess would be some startup failure causing it to continuously try to reboot. Since your computer is off at the time I'd say not much hope of fixing it without sending it back to them.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

I think there's a very little chance of getting it right on your own unless you are a proper electrical engineer...
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

Clicking synced with screen flashes?

I could be way wrong, but it sounds to me like an electrolytic capacitor that's shorting out when it reaches a certain charge. Probably PS, but could be elsewhere. Worth taking a look for swelling and/or leakage. Can't hurt.

I'm not an "electrical engineer" but I spent a good part of my life as a service tech.
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

*Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White???? *
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

unitymusic wrote: July 10th, 2020, 9:12 pm So just recently my interface stopped responding and 'interfacing' with my computer. When I turn it on [with my computer off] it starts making this clicking sound through my speakers that seems to coincide with the from panel screen flashing - which would normally just stay lit up when I turned it on - before I turned my computer on. Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? Short video below:

Video won't play. Says it's "private".
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

*Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White???? *