VST plugins problem

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
nobby

VST plugins problem

Post by nobby »

Below is a topic I started on the Cakewalk forum. I don't know if any of you can help, but I'm not confident that Cakewalk can help me and I'm about at the end of my rope.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I installed a new hard drive and switched from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Main obvious problem is runtime error not allowing a vst scan. I have scoured the internet, only to find confusing and contradictory advice.

I uninstalled the C++ stuff and reinstalled, as one post suggested. That didn't help.

Then someone suggested I remove all the 32 bit plugins... I don't know if I can even locate them all, and you can't delete the x86 folder. One poster said put all the plugins in C/ program files/ common files/ VST3. Another poster said that there was a problem with VST3 that isn't on VST2. In any case, the problem persists.

I don't know if I can eliminate Gobbler or Pace as the culprit. Neither has tech support that I know of and Waves tech support doesn't return my inquiry.

Meanwhile, I can't use any 3rd party plugins and they are on all my projects.

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Just for clarity, is this a completely new installation of everything? No portable-installation transfers or copy-pastes or anything of that nature?
nobby

Post by nobby »

I don't know what you mean. I needed a thumb drive to install Win 10 -- does that count?

It's a new hard drive. It was empty. I copied and pasted plenty of stuff.

The immediate and possibly only problem is that the VST scan stops on a runtime error. Cakewalk dude thinks the apps I need are being blocked by virus protection.

From the Cakewalk forum:
hmm - not much to go on there unfortunately. I'd contact support@cakewalk.com - they may want you to follow some instructions to get more info for them.
Before you do that though, check Windows Defender, One Drive and any other virus checker/cloud sync software has those directories excluded.
Easier said than done. Windows provided 2 sets of instructions, both of which seem to be dead ends:

How the file system access settings work
To allow or block file system access for a specific app and service
1. Go to Start , and then select > Settings > Privacy > File system.
2. Make sure Allow apps to access your file system is turned On.
3. Under Choose which apps can access your file system, choose the individual apps and services for which you want to allow or block file system access and change the settings to On or Off.
Not all apps will appear under Choose which apps can access your file system. Certain Windows programs, such as those that are downloaded from the internet or installed with some type of media (such as a CD, DVD, or USB storage device) won’t appear in that list and are not affected by the Allow apps access your file system setting. To allow or deny file system access for one of these programs, check the settings in the program itself.

Office is the only item on the list.

So...
2nd set of instructions:

How to change file access permissions per app on Windows 10
If you're trying to allow or deny file access to a specific application, the quickest way to do this is to update the app settings using these steps:
1. Open Settings.
2. Click on Apps.
3. Click on Apps & features.
4. Select the app you want to change permissions, and click the Advanced options link.

Only Microsoft apps have advanced options; everything else only has the option to uninstall.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

Just to narrow down on the culprit, can you install REAPER (simply download installation file and it starts a demo) and see whether it works with your plugins?
nobby

Post by nobby »

What would that determine?
nobby

Post by nobby »

The real sticking point right now is the C++ runtime error that occurs partway through scanning VST plugins.

I followed these instructions:
This is an issue with Windows system. To resolve the problem, please first run Windows Update to ensure that your system has all the latest system updates from Microsoft. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please try download and install Visual C++ 2013. Make sure to install both files: vcredist_x86.exe and vcredist_x64.exe. Whereas for 32-bit version of Windows, only install the vcredist_x86.exe. 

… but I still get the runtime error.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

nobby wrote: August 1st, 2019, 6:03 pm What would that determine?
This will tell whether the problem is Sonar or something went generally wrong with the Windows installation.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I see.

Anyway, I called Waves and Omry emailed these instructions:
Hi Jonathan,

It was nice talking to you over the phone.

Per our conversation, please follow the step below to start fresh with all Waves related, by uninstall and reinstall Waves.

If you have IR convolution reverb impulse files, please back up the following folders:
•C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\IR1Impulses

•C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\IR1Impulses V2
• C:\Program Files (x86)\Waves\Data\Acoustics.net Impulses (if exists)

First, uninstall:1.Launch Central.
2.Go to Install > Uninstall, checkmark all boxes and click Uninstall.
3.Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall Central.
4.Go to C:\Program Files (x86) and delete the Waves folder.
5.Press [Win key]+R, type %AppData% and hit Enter.

6.In the Roaming folder that shows, drag the Waves Audio folder to your desktop.
7.Press [Win key]+R, type %LocalAppData% and hit Enter. In the window that shows, delete the Waves Audio folder.
8.Press [Win key]+R, type %ProgramData% and hit Enter. In the window that shows, delete the Waves Audio folder.
9.Delete any WaveShell files you find in the following locations (if exist):◦C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins
◦C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-ins
◦C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
◦C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugins

◦C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ DigiDesign\DAE\Plug-Ins
◦C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3
◦C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\WPAPI

Now to re-install:

Looking at your Waves account I can see that some of your licenses are V10 and some are V9.

Please note that Waves Central install online (Easy Install & Activate, Install Products from online) only the latest V10 plug-ins.

Further, note that V9 and V10 can run on the same system, as long as you don't install two versions (V9 and V10) of the same plugin.

Each plugin should only be installed in either V9 or V10.

For example:
•Version 9 of J37 Tape and version 10 of Torque can run on the same system.
•Version 9 of H-Reverb and version 10 of H-Reverb can't.

Follow these steps to install V10:
1. Download and install Central.
2.Run Central and log in.
3.Go to Install Products.
4.On the left column, select Online.
5.On the middle column, click on My Products and select the products you wish to install.
6.Click Install on the bottom right.

Follow these steps to install V9, using the dedicated V9.92 Offline Installation folder:
1.Quit any host application.

2. Click here to download the v.9.92 Offline Installer for Windows.
3. Unzip the folder to your desktop.

4.Launch Waves Central and click on Install Products.
5.In the left panel, click on Select Offline Installer.

6.When prompted, highlight the Waves- 24.5.18 folder on your desktop and click Select folder/Open.
7.In the middle panel, search and select the V9 products you wish to install.
Refer to your Waves account to view your exact licenses.
8.Click Install.

As discussed as well, as there are multiple issues with the computer, which as you mentioned, seem to be related to Cakewalk by BandLab's redistributables, I suggest reinstalling Cakewalk as well.
Please contact BandLab support for assistance on that matter.
That seems pretty simple :right:
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

So all is working now?
nobby

Post by nobby »

No, unfortunately. I've got to the part where I'm re-installing Waves plugins and it the progress bar stops midway and it points me to a trouble shooter which reiterates some of the above steps.

And Waves phone support, while rated tops by everyone who uses it is gone for the weekend.

I'm going to keep plugging away at it while I do other things, but there is a definition of insanity attributed to a famous physicist...
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

nobby wrote: July 31st, 2019, 10:05 pm
It's a new hard drive. It was empty. I copied and pasted plenty of stuff.

Okay... this is important. You mean you just copied/pasted files/folders from the old drive you had over to the new one?
This would basically create a lot of problems.

A lot of programs rely on external libraries to run. These libraries are not part of the program's code. Rather, they are either distributed as part of the program's installation, or downloaded and installed by the program's installer when executed (such as, for example, Microsoft distributables).
If you just copy/paste plugin DLLs, you are potentially missing all the dependencies they need to run.
I always label the folders I install plugins in, in a way that allows me to tell if the plugin was something I just directly unzipped from an archive file, for example, or if they were installed by an executable. That way, when I have to wipe out my drive to start with a new one, or need to perform a major upgrade to my system, I can tell which plugins I need to re-install completely easily. Yeah, a PITA, but no way around that.
I used to create images of my hard drive to save some time, but I found that the images already had a lot of stuff installed, so I might just as well spend 2-3 days re-installing everything (the Native Instruments stuff is a major PITA).

Anyway... I hope this helps a bit. It sounds to me like it may be what you're experiencing. If not... well, I hope you endured the blabber. :stg:
nobby

Post by nobby »

Thanks for responding, Toonman.

There used to be memes on social media showing a photo of a proper analog studio with a large format console and outboard and the suggestion that if you think working with a DAW is complicated, check this out.

I pointed out how ludicrous that assertion was, that it was the other way around. They were taken down. Or maybe I'm unfollowed or something (shrug).

Analog is always expensive to buy, maintain and house. But unless you're also the boffin, it's not that complicated to just get the signal from the source to tape, etc.

Getting around problems is straightforward, troubleshooting is simple. Which track is noisy? Un-patch the outboard. Still noisy? put a piece of tape on the track to indicate the track is bad so you don't use it accidentally. :hp:

No audio drop-outs caused by video cache files, no lack of output because the ADC needs the latest drivers installed. No bugs appearing because you didn't check to see that you had the latest iteration of your DAW's software.

In the analog studio, the console doesn't disappear because the latest upgrade changed the user interface and you accidentally hit a hot key that only 2 people in the world know about until they search online for half an hour and find the thread that the site's own search engine couldn't find.

In Winos 7 ( a typo, but I'm keeping it :lol: ) if you didn't jump through the hoops well enough the DRM software of the plugin publisher would keep Sonar from opening.

That's the equivalent in an analog studio to a cap going bad in an LA2A causing the studio to have no electricity.

In Widows 10 Cakewalk opens but any plugin not recognized as authorized doesn't.