Recording to tape questions

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
unitymusic

Recording to tape questions

Post by unitymusic »

So, I love the workflow and sound of recording to tape in any format, but I recently realized that I don't know that much about it. So I was hoping I could start a thread that I could ask some questions about it as they come to me, and get some reliable answers.

I've had a tascam 388 for almost 20 years, and the transport recently stopped working. There's a local shop that specializes in repairing vintage audio equipment and reel to reel machines, so I'm thinking about taking it there soon, and possibly buying another machine as well [they're also a shop that sells refurbished/vintage audio gear].

So my first question is: the 388 is 8 tracks 1/4" tape that runs at 7.5. If I were to get another 1/4" deck - say a 4 track that runs at 7.5 or 15 - how does that work regarding the tape? ie. What would happen if I tried to play a tape that I recorded using all 8 tracks on the 388, and the machine I'm trying to play it back on is a 4 track?
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I've had a 388 for about a decade, lovely workflow. Have you checked the belt? Sometimes they dry or stretch out and start slipping off of the motor wheel. Ebay has them for cheap and it's an easy job to do yourself if that's the problem. Also you could try jiggling the relevant cards or possibly reseat them after cleaning the connectors.

If you mismatch formats like that I assume you'll get sound, but there might be a question about the pre-emphasis/de-emphasis EQ and the DBX if you use it on the 388. I guess you'd get two sounds on each fader, and you wouldn't be able to balance them separately. If the track layout is as shown in the image, they wouldn't be even (as recorded) either. It'd probably be lame.

I wouldn't spend money on another quarter inch machine if you could get the 388 fixed. The quality improvement would be marginal unless the other machine had bitchin electronics. A half inch four track I think would be noticeably better if you want quality improvement on the cheap. Semipro one inch 8 tracks don't sound all that much better than a 388 though really in my limited experience with them. I'm sure it really all depends on the specific machine in question. Basically I'd either get the 388 fixed or spring on something pro. The middle ground ain't that happening for the money, and the 388 workflow is great IMO.

If you just want to get a new machine, I could transfer your old tapes for you onto digital if you like.

from the interweb, not sure if accurate/applicable:
Attachments
quarterinch_lrg.gif
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

Hey thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look into getting the 388 fixed just because I like it, but a 1/2" 4 track is what I was leaning towards anyway, so I think I'll plan on getting one of those as well at some point. Any particular models to look out for/avoid?
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I've never owned one of that format, only used them a few times so I don't know about reliability. Otari and TEAC/Tascam always seem rugged on the semiprosumer end and can sound ok. Ampex 440 looks sexy and all discrete class A from what I read, which is usually good for serviceability and sound. Haven't used one though...sorry I can't be of more help. I'll be curious to know what you end up with.