Use of noise in a mix

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
nobby

Use of noise in a mix

Post by nobby »

Plugins that model analog gear seem to tend to have an option for introducing analog noise.

I had assumed that if anyone could have gotten rid of the noise without otherwise changing the character of the sound by pushing in a button on analog gear, the button would stay pushed in.

But there used to be (still is, in some cases) noise from the desk, the outboard and tape. In the digital domain, you have none of that -- the noise floor is zero.

Here's an explanation of noise in Waves plugins. The 'intermodulation' aspect is something I don't recall having heard:
Simon A. Billington: On the H-Series it sets the different type of analogue emulation.

In the API it’s tied to both the noise and the harmonic “character”

In other plugins it simply controls Noise and Hum. Which I don’t usually mind a little bit of myself. It interjects a bit of intermodulation which helps achieve a more cohesive mix.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I've wondered if a little noise acts like dither in the electrical domain. Keepin' those electrons jiggling and ready to go :rofl: Hum, though? Eek
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

I think slight noise can act sort of like a "reference plane" for the ears. In isolating headphones when there is no noise it's a weird feeling when the music hits kind of out of nowhere.
Also, I played with adding a bit of pink noise to the loud section of the song, seemed to give it some "space". Almost like adding reverb.
But I kind of don't care much for such things anymore. There are more important things to take care of in the mix.