Black Friday deals

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
meloco_go

Black Friday deals

Post by meloco_go »

Did you find anything interesting?
The best I've seen is 70% off Black Rooster Audio plugins.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I get 100% off when I don't buy anything. :eyeroll:

...but if it's 70% off, does that mean I'll only save 30%? One of life's greatest questions.
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

Post by Rev. Juda$ Sleaze »

Finally got the full version of Kontakt at 50% off.

With discount and voucher I got Brainworx bx_digital V3 for $19. Had my eye on that for a couple of years, so that was nice.

Not in the market for much this year though... don't really need it!
nobby

Post by nobby »

Sound Toys has a sale. All their stuff for $149 and separately on sale.

I already have their Echo boy, Decapitator, Micro shift, Tremolator and Little Alterboy all of which I got on sale, a la carte, and their other plugs don't look like things I'd wind up using, so I'll pass.

https://www.soundtoys.com/product/acade ... 9cYMsFOwF4
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

I already upgraded all my iZotope stuff. Pretty happy there.
Eventide has a bunch of specials too. I might check out a thing or two there.
I'll wee what else I can spot these days. Not that I'll be able to get everything I put my eye on... I wish!
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

Just saw that Vienna Ensemble Pro 6 is at 60% off. That would be a great bargain for anyone doing orchestral mock-ups.
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

Softube Tape is $34.

I got it a while ago and haven't used Slate VTM since.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

DevilLoc Deluxe is $29, I use regular DevilLoc a lot, so will probably grab this.
nobby

Post by nobby »

meloco_go wrote: November 23rd, 2018, 3:57 pm DevilLoc Deluxe is $29, I use regular DevilLoc a lot, so will probably grab this.
Is there something that it does specifically that you can't get from other fx or is it just a faster way for you to work?

I checked out a video but I don't have their raw tracks to use for comparison with fx I already have. I have had problems with trial versions of plugs in the past so I try to avoid them.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

nobby wrote: November 24th, 2018, 1:29 am Is there something that it does specifically that you can't get from other fx or is it just a faster way for you to work?
Dunno, probably the latter. Typically I use it on vocals and drums when they're kind of bland. Always at the lowest settings, and often just blending in a tiny bit of effect.
I guess I can mix and match what it does with other plugins.
Strangely I never got any mileage out of Little Radiator. Maybe it's because the interface of DevilLoc is red and I like the word Devil :twisted:
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

DevilLoc is great when you want something to be blatantly smashed sounding.
I wouldn’t use it for ‘subtle’ compression.
It’s intentionally very NOTICEABLE.

Although not SUPER inexpensive, the Sound Radix stuff is in sale. And I find their Pi phase alignment plug in almost lifesaving sometimes on other people’s multi mic drum recordings I have to mix.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

weedywet wrote: November 24th, 2018, 5:14 pm DevilLoc is great when you want something to be blatantly smashed sounding.
I wouldn’t use it for ‘subtle’ compression.
It’s intentionally very NOTICEABLE.
I agree, but I always just blend in a little of the effect with the dry sound. That way it helps to push certain things to the front of the mix.
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

LSR have 40% off.

I love the API compressor, and the dbx de-esser is my go-to.

https://www.lsraudio.com
nobby

Post by nobby »

weedywet wrote: November 24th, 2018, 5:14 pm Although not SUPER inexpensive, the Sound Radix stuff is in sale. And I find their Pi phase alignment plug in almost lifesaving sometimes on other people’s multi mic drum recordings I have to mix.
Thanks for the tip!

Not super inexpensive, but if I were paid minimum wage for every hour I spent toiling over out of phase drums tracks...

The "best" one was where I flipped the phase on something and all this bottom end came in, so, I thought, that's it then. Then I put the master bus into mono and the drums disappeared almost entirely :fp:

It seems like about a year ago I dropped in on a discussion in which engineers were discussing doing this manually and it sounded like a rabbit hole to hell...

Watched a demo on youtube and there didn't seem to be much difference, than the guy says "These tracks were professionally recorded in a good studio but in other cases..."

Then I tried it on tracks I had to work on and :yowza:

Total game changer! If there were a holy grail of plugins, I'd nominate this one.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I'm a bit surprised that Auto Align has been around for over 5 years -- totally under my radar!