iLok2 vs. iLok3 ?

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
unitymusic

iLok2 vs. iLok3 ?

Post by unitymusic »

I've had an iLok2 for about 5 or so years, and recently I've been having some problems with my computer/software not recognizing it. If I unplug it for a while it will work, but I feel like it's only a matter of time before it gives out for good, so I'm gonna get a new one to transfer my licenses just in case.

My question is, does anyone have any opinions on if I should go for another v2, or get the more "updated" iLok3? I know v3 is backwards compatible, but I've also heard stories about v3 drawing too much power, which could be an issue for me. Any other downsides for me to be aware of if switching to the newer one? Thanks.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

I have no idea, but I wonder how is it possible that v3 uses too much power? If it's really "too much" it should get hot.
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

At some point, there will be software that can only use three so that's I would get. That said, you might do a clean install of the software first and replace the USB drivers.
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

Thanks Bob, I tried to reinstall my software but no luck. I went with v3 for pretty much the reason you stated, and everything is working fine again.
meloco_go wrote: November 21st, 2018, 4:32 pm I have no idea, but I wonder how is it possible that v3 uses too much power? If it's really "too much" it should get hot.
I have no idea about that, it's just something I read, but I'm thinking there's not much truth in that. If anything, my licenses load a little quicker with the iLok3, but it's pretty much the same from what I can tell. With that said, my old iLok2 did start getting hot before it started not being recognized.