Compression on reversed signals

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
meloco_go

Compression on reversed signals

Post by meloco_go »

So there is this trick when you reverse a track and then apply compression on it. Do you ever use it?

Seems gimmicky but it seems to provide some taming of the dynamics of the track while preserving the transients better. Although it produces some kind of "swelling" sounds on the background noise, which might be a problem.

Anyway, if you have a problematic drum track give it a try.
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

there was a brief vogue for mastering backwards to try to preserve transients.

But on the whole? Super gimmicky.
Tim Halligan

Post by Tim Halligan »

weedywet wrote: May 15th, 2018, 9:30 pm there was a brief vogue for mastering backwards to try to preserve transients.
I'd not heard of backwards mastering, but I did read about making safeties of the 2" in reverse to allegedly preserve transients...but I'm pretty sure I read it in Mix magazine - so all bets are off.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

yllis s'ti kniht I
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

weedywet wrote: May 16th, 2018, 4:44 am yllis s'ti kniht I
.yletinifed tsoM

It is certainly not a "vibe" thing and the compression can only be set by meters this way. But it moves the compression artifacts (which are often desirable) to the other parts of the signal, where they are not as apparent.
Drums produce waveforms which are hard or a compressor to react properly, reversing them produces waveforms with a much softer attack.

And there's no need for such things if the drummer controls his dynamics and is properly recorded.
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

I've never heard of this, but it's kind of a neat idea. Not as a matter of course, but maybe for some things that you want a different/effected type of sound. I might try it just for the sake of experimentation.

Just so I get this straight, are you saying that you reverse the signal --> apply compression --> reverse the signal back to normal?

Also, would the 'standard' way of doing this be to keep the same settings that you set for the track playing normally, or would you adjust stuff like the attack/release to fit the reverse signal, then switch it back?
keks

Post by keks »

In this day and age of digital transient designers this is pretty much obsolete, I guess.
When you are stuck with an analogue comp that does not grab the transient right, you might as well try this.
But ITB...?
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

unitymusic wrote: May 16th, 2018, 6:32 am Just so I get this straight, are you saying that you reverse the signal --> apply compression --> reverse the signal back to normal?
Yes, exactly.
unitymusic wrote: May 16th, 2018, 6:32 amAlso, would the 'standard' way of doing this be to keep the same settings that you set for the track playing normally, or would you adjust stuff like the attack/release to fit the reverse signal, then switch it back?
This one's kinda tough. Adjusting the settings by ear does not work at all, and that's the biggest drawback of the technique. On the other hand it does not color the sound as much so it's more forgiving.

keks wrote: May 16th, 2018, 7:34 am In this day and age of digital transient designers this is pretty much obsolete, I guess.
When you are stuck with an analogue comp that does not grab the transient right, you might as well try this.
But ITB...?
In some way it is similar to having a comp with lookahead. But I just don't like comps with lookahead.
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

I suppose my thinking is along the lines of: if you don't want it to sound compressed, don't compress it.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

weedywet wrote: May 16th, 2018, 6:37 pm I suppose my thinking is along the lines of: if you don't want it to sound compressed, don't compress it.
Yes, but sometimes it's just not played and/or recorded properly and automating everything just takes too much time.
There are also things like Sound Radix Drum Leveller and Melda MDrummer which can help, and I use latter to some extent, but they're kinda unpredictable to me.
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

those things seek to internally rebalance a track... they're not compressors per se.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

weedywet wrote: May 17th, 2018, 2:26 am those things seek to internally rebalance a track... they're not compressors per se.
Yes, sort of creating automation for each drum hit. That way they avoid "compression" sound. Compressing reversed signals also avoids this sound largely. Does mess with the decay of the drum though, but sometimes in a pleasant way.
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

weedywet wrote: May 16th, 2018, 6:37 pm I suppose my thinking is along the lines of: if you don't want it to sound compressed, don't compress it.
Where's the "like" button?

It never fails to amaze me to what great lengths people will go to avoid doing things the simplest and most obvious way....
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

*Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White???? *
nobby

Post by nobby »

I'm surprised there isn't some kind of "look ahead" software that can do the same thing at this point.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

John Eppstein wrote: May 17th, 2018, 8:49 pm It never fails to amaze me to what great lengths people will go to avoid doing things the simplest and most obvious way....
The simplest way would be to get things right at the source. I have near zero control over that.