Waves Omni

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
meloco_go

Waves Omni

Post by meloco_go »

Have you tried it?

I have a soft sport for channelstrips. Gonna test this one for sure, but was a bit busy this week.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I haven't tried it but it looks pretty intriguing.

I just started using Klanghelm SDRR last night but this is a lot more elaborate. SDRR is mainly a saturation plugin.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

Started demo and at the moment I'm on the fence with it.

It is definitely useful, all the modules do what they should.
The compressor is cool and modes are very different from each other. What I didn't like is that it does not respond to the attack/release the way I feel it should. E.g. attack has very long range judging by the numbers on the knob, but in VCA mode there's sort of two sound, one at the short end of the scale and one on the rest, with not much change in between. FET seems to respond more "continuously".

I think it was released a year ago I would grab it with no hesitation, as it's all that I want from the channelstrip. But now I have spent quite a bit of time setting up a template with a particular channelstrip, mapping my controller for it, and after doing a few mixes with it I quite like the results.
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

Andrew's goal was to speed up his work. I'm sure the settings ranges are for how he uses specific devices as opposed to any kind of universal settings.
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

Bob Olhsson wrote: February 4th, 2018, 9:27 pm Andrew's goal was to speed up his work. I'm sure the settings ranges are for how he uses specific devices as opposed to any kind of universal settings.
Yes, I assume as much.
For me though, the only point of using it would be to have it as bread and butter plugin on every track. So I would prefer something with a little bit less "this is how I do it" attitude. It's a cool sound though.
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

Plug-in developers have a huge challenge coming up with something different. Their market just like the computer market is utterly saturated with ten-year-old products getting the job done for millions of people.
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

Bob Olhsson wrote: February 5th, 2018, 5:09 pm Plug-in developers have a huge challenge coming up with something different. Their market just like the computer market is utterly saturated with ten-year-old products getting the job done for millions of people.
Yeah! Through last couple of years I bought only three of four plugins.
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

It must be human nature, the quest to find that new bit of gear that sounds like what's in your head. It always seems to be the next piece of the puzzle that will be the answer.
That's what I like about the Michael Stavrou articles and book...the challenge of working with limited gear, and still getting a good result.
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

Gronk wrote: February 5th, 2018, 8:22 pm ...
That's what I like about the Michael Stavrou articles and book...the challenge of working with limited gear, and still getting a good result.
working at AIR studios was "working with limited gear"?
seriously?

I found that book to be a lot of hocus pocus
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

weedywet wrote: February 8th, 2018, 7:12 am
Gronk wrote: February 5th, 2018, 8:22 pm ...
working at AIR studios was "working with limited gear"?
seriously?

I found that book to be a lot of hocus pocus
It was the articles in Audio Technology magazine that he wrote that were about working with limited gear. Solving readers problems (without being rude to them).
I found the book interesting, but it was more about helping the clueless, so it probably wasn't written with you in mind. I am surprised that you would bother to read it.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I'd have to say that for me, at least, it's worth the 50 bucks just for the DS2. That would be the killer app here.

A de-esser sweepable through the whole usable frequency range with high and low shelving and 2 notches.

Each channel has 2 in series and you can 'audition' each one, hear exactly what it's doing more easily than by the old standard make a Q stalagmite and sweep.

And it's a compressor -- adjust how much you want with the threshold.

GOD I love it :cool:

I fixed a vexing problem straight off the bat with something I couldn't fix with EQ.

Besides that, The Omni channel is, for me, a pretty fast way to get where you're going, maybe the fastest.

I like the compressor; it sounds good and when you choose between "VCA", "FET", and "OPTO", it automatically level matches between them for a quick a/b/c comparison if you need one.

Totally useful saturation and EQ also. Lightning fast to change their sequence in the signal chain, of course. I like the virtual meters and faders too :stg:

Anyway, that's my review, you can find plenty more. It doesn't do everything, of course but it often does everything I need, or most of it.
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

nobby wrote: February 21st, 2018, 2:11 am I'd have to say that for me, at least, it's worth the 50 bucks just for the DS2. That would be the killer app here.

A de-esser sweepable through the whole usable frequency range with high and low shelving and 2 notches.

Each channel has 2 in series and you can 'audition' each one, hear exactly what it's doing more easily than by the old standard make a Q stalagmite and sweep.

And it's a compressor -- adjust how much you want with the threshold.

GOD I love it :cool:

I fixed a vexing problem straight off the bat with something I couldn't fix with EQ.

Besides that, The Omni channel is, for me, a pretty fast way to get where you're going, maybe the fastest.

I like the compressor; it sounds good and when you choose between "VCA", "FET", and "OPTO", it automatically level matches between them for a quick a/b/c comparison if you need one.

Totally useful saturation and EQ also. Lightning fast to change their sequence in the signal chain, of course. I like the virtual meters and faders too :stg:

Anyway, that's my review, you can find plenty more. It doesn't do everything, of course but it often does everything I need, or most of it.
I'm not the biggest fan of waves plugins, but I have to admit, that's a pretty nice set of features. Maybe I'll look into this one at some point.