iLok, uSuk

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
nobby

iLok, uSuk

Post by nobby »

Because of shitty DRM software, I was unable to use my DAW at all!

I open a project in Sonar, expecting to work on a mix. Instead, I get a cascading avalanche of error messages telling me something is wrong with either 2nd party software (Pace/ iLok) or 3rd party client (Gobbler -- Gobble this!) but no clue as to what it is.
"Software Component Unavailable" really didn't tell me anything.

I couldn't even shut the crippled project down without resorting to the task manager.

The last time this happened, I had to DL a new iLok manager because the old one stopped working. So I tried that, no dice. Reinstall, reboot, same problem.

It would be bad enough if the plugins that use iLok were disabled because someone else fucked up, but I was unable to use my DAW at all, on any project

I was fucking furious. Eventually I used the right search words which took me to a thread buried in the Cakewalk forum in which someone with the same problem was advised of a solution.

Apparently, when iLok starts automatically, if it starts before another element, I'm guessing Gobbler, is up and running, it shuts down the DAW.

This worked (so far):
To check for this problem go to Administrative Tools/Services/ and see if "Pace License Services" status is "running".
If not running then that is the problem.
The quick fix is to double click or right click and select Properties then change "Startup Type" from "Automatic" to "Automatic (Delayed Startup)". This causes the Pace service to wait a while before running.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/solved-Ilok-L ... 80463.aspx
I still don't know why it suddenly started malfunctioning.

I understand why software makers feel a need to protect their Intellectual Property but if there were DRM used on the end product, the actual music, that made it even slightly inconvenient for people to access music, you'd be burned at the stake for using it :evil:
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

It's certainly frustrating when something like this fails, but I've been using iLok for about 8 years now and I've had one failure that resulted in me not being able to access the stuff I had paid for. Still sucked at the time, but overall it has worked pretty well for me and I don't mind it. I've heard some horror stories, just never experienced anything that bad.

I've switched computers, reinstalled operating systems, or something along those lines more than that in the same time frame, and iLok has been nice to have in that regard. Not to mention traveling to different rooms and only needing the download installed on that computer and not the full license.

I hope you don't have too much downtime from this, but I still like iLok.
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

Do you have any Soundtoys plugins in your sessions? I've got a message from them urging me to upgrade to latest ilok manager, and I am hesitant to do so for now.
nobby

Post by nobby »

Yes. I think Soundtoys MicroShift may have been the first plugin that caused me to use iLok in the 1st place.

Mighty nice of them to give you a heads-up on upgrading to a new manager. I don't think I got a warning message -- I just found out when I couldn't access ANY of my projects.

I don't think there's a reason for you not to get the newest iLok manager, but I'm hardly an expert.
nobby

Post by nobby »

unitymusic wrote: August 16th, 2017, 12:47 am

I've switched computers, reinstalled operating systems, or something along those lines more than that in the same time frame, and iLok has been nice to have in that regard. Not to mention traveling to different rooms and only needing the download installed on that computer and not the full license.

I hope you don't have too much downtime from this, but I still like iLok.
I'm glad to hear there's an upside to using iLok. I don't think I've switched computers since I started using it (would have been a few years ago) and I only use 1 desktop for recording/ mixing.
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

This affected all people using old versions of the iLock manager and was not specific to particular plug-ins. My understanding is that because it operates at a very low system level, each version is time bombed to make it less susceptible to malware compromises. What sucks is that both Apple and Microsoft could build transparent, robust low level copy protection into their operating systems but have never been willing to.
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

Bob Olhsson wrote: August 17th, 2017, 7:21 pm This affected all people using old versions of the iLock manager and was not specific to particular plug-ins. My understanding is that because it operates at a very low system level, each version is time bombed to make it less susceptible to malware compromises. What sucks is that both Apple and Microsoft could build transparent, robust low level copy protection into their operating systems but have never been willing to.
Shortly after I first posted in this thread I tried to open Pro Tools for the first time in a few days and realized it wouldn't open.

I happened to see your post here so I went to the iLok site and updated the manager. It took me less than five minutes to download and install, then everything was working properly again.

So, thanks Bob for making it clear what the problem was, and also I hope that nobby got everything sorted out quickly and easily as well.
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Had this happen to me before. After a bit of frustration and reading over the interknots, I checked the task manager (in Windows) and realized the Pace service wasn't running. I just manually started and could work again. As it was mentioned previously, it seems there are some dependencies upon which the Pace service relies to start successfully. I have set the service to start delayed, but even then, sometimes it'll still be down. I've just gotten used to checking the status on the service prior to launching anything.
nobby

Post by nobby »

So I wanted to move a note on bass guitar using Melodyne.

Naturally, since I haven't used it in a while, the computer crashed. Black screen, had to shut it down, no restart option.

I think my computer shouldn't be crashing, but I don't know.

Using:
Win 7 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

After restarting, I open a project and get 14, count 'em, 14 error messages from Softube, Slate, etc.

I install a new Ilok License Manager. And TFM.

TFM tells me I must uninstall previous license manager or my hair will go on fire. Turns out, I can't.

But I do the best I can, restart and download a new one which tells me it's removing the old one.

Now, I reboot. Wish me luck :eyeroll:
nobby

Post by nobby »

Well, my DAW is temporarily working...

Until I hit the wrong button again :rofl: