Directional hearing

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
meloco_go

Directional hearing

Post by meloco_go »

Really nice example how directional hearing works in this hearing.
Also, shows why overEQing may produce whacky sounds which do not translate.

nobby

Post by nobby »

Interesting.
keks

Post by keks »

Directional hearing is frequency dependant, as well.
By using EQ you can kinda reposition known sound recordings in space.
There are some papers about it from Jens Blauert, the German Wikipedia says this:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blauertsche_B%C3%A4nder
If you are interested i could translate this into English.

All the best,
the keks
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

So if I'm reading this graph correctly, your chance of correct directional identification is stronger, say, if you hear something with a lot in the 1k region and the source is behind you? But then if that same source is in front of you, it's difficult to tell where it's coming from?

A translation would be pretty cool :yep:
Attachments
750px-Akustik_-_Richtungsbänder.svg.png
keks

Post by keks »

Ok, it reads kinda thusly:

Basics
If you apply EQ to sound emanated from a speaker in front of the listener in a certain way, it is possible that the sound appears to the listener from different virtual positions on the vertical plane,

The graphic shows the (stochastic) relative frequency of spatial perception of the altered sounds by the experimental subjetcs. The event "from behind" (von hinten) was the most often recognized sensation, with a probability of more than 80%. This sensation is provoved by a boost in the 1kHz regon.

Localization in the vertical plane
The pits and bumps of our pinna in context with our auditory canal form a complex resonator system, which is sensitive to the direction of incident sound. This acts as a direction dependent filter. Our brain is able to interpret the filtered sound and approximate a localization in the vertical plane with a precision up to 10°, as opposed to 1° in the horizontal plane, which is done by triangulation.

Sound design
The directional hearing implied by be Blauertschen Bänder can be modeled by applying respective EQ to the source. The source sound has to be familiar to the listener, though.
Rercordings wit an artificial head already contain those spatial cues.

Then comes a recipe for putting tings behind someone, or in front:
In front is boosting between 300-400 Hz and 3-4kHz, cutting ikHz (like the graphic would imply).
Putting something "behind" is boosting around 1k.

These should have been the interesting parts.
I hope this is intelligible, translating technical stuff from my mother tongue is not something that I attempt every day :-)

All the best,
the keks
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

keks wrote: August 21st, 2017, 12:36 pm Ok, it reads kinda thusly:

Basics
If you apply EQ to sound emanated from a speaker in front of the listener in a certain way, it is possible that the sound appears to the listener from different virtual positions on the vertical plane,

The graphic shows the (stochastic) relative frequency of spatial perception of the altered sounds by the experimental subjetcs. The event "from behind" (von hinten) was the most often recognized sensation, with a probability of more than 80%. This sensation is provoved by a boost in the 1kHz regon.

Localization in the vertical plane
The pits and bumps of our pinna in context with our auditory canal form a complex resonator system, which is sensitive to the direction of incident sound. This acts as a direction dependent filter. Our brain is able to interpret the filtered sound and approximate a localization in the vertical plane with a precision up to 10°, as opposed to 1° in the horizontal plane, which is done by triangulation.

Sound design
The directional hearing implied by be Blauertschen Bänder can be modeled by applying respective EQ to the source. The source sound has to be familiar to the listener, though.
Rercordings wit an artificial head already contain those spatial cues.

Then comes a recipe for putting tings behind someone, or in front:
In front is boosting between 300-400 Hz and 3-4kHz, cutting ikHz (like the graphic would imply).
Putting something "behind" is boosting around 1k.

These should have been the interesting parts.
I hope this is intelligible, translating technical stuff from my mother tongue is not something that I attempt every day :-)

All the best,
the keks
That is very interesting and worth experimenting with! Thanks!
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Double thanks.