State of business in your neck of the woods....

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
Nobtwiddler

State of business in your neck of the woods....

Post by Nobtwiddler »

Hey guys,
I was just wondering about the state of business each of your locations.

The reason I bring this up, this past month July...was the first month ever, in 34 years of owning and operating my place in Millbrook NY, that I had NOT ONE SINGLE SESSION.

I've been in this business since 1974. Owned my own studio since then. Yes I moved 5 times, and changed studio names, but have been here for the last 34 years, and never did I have a month like this!

Now August is getting booked up, so that's good, and I know the industry as a whole is been a bit crazy as of the last few years,
but the lack of sessions last month got me thinking, is this a sign of things to come?
Is it just this area, or is anyone else seeing the same trend.
What ya think?

Cheers
PO
Go Figure

Cheers
PO
Knastratt

Post by Knastratt »

I think it's close to dead around here too. The only guy I know is Headroom Recording but I think he's more mixing than tracking. Would be nice to hear Otek's view - but I think he's mainly getting paid for being the guy in charge of the music education up at Geijer School. I know there are a few quite large studios around Karlstad - but you never hear shit about them.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I'm not in the business at the moment, but to me it looks like it's going in only one direction. The forces of the marketplace don't seem to be shifting towards any new path.
Tim Halligan

Post by Tim Halligan »

In decline. Going to a dedicated sound studio for your video sound sweetening seems to be something that is a thing of the past. We might get the VO record, but not the design and mix.

This is what happens with novice clients.

It doesn't help that the video edit suites are trying desperately to not let a single dollar of a client's budget walk out the door, so we're copping from both ends.

The older and wiser clients know better.

Thankfully the clients doing documentary and film projects for broadcast have learnt - sometimes the hard way - that going to sound will keep you legal.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.
Nobtwiddler

Post by Nobtwiddler »

Like I said, this was a first for me with nothing going on for 30 days...
But summer here has always been a bit slower than the rest of the year, as most of my clientele are seasoned pros who are out touring this time of year !

Thankfully, August is looking good...
But beyond that, I just don't know.
I guess only time will tell.
Go Figure

Cheers
PO
tylodawg

Post by tylodawg »

Well, not sure how qualified I am to say because where I am, there has NEVER really been a business, hah. But no question, even here, you can tell that things have slowed. There's a couple top level places that have managed to stay afloat, and I've been lucky enough to stay busy the last 5 years. (largely because my overhead is so low). But I just talked to a buddy who ran a studio for 10 years, and finally closed doors, just out of sheer lack of business. And his was connected to his house. (But it was a good setup, I recorded there a few times). Just wasn't worth the hassle to him.
The trend of "self recording" can't be helping. The recordings made by this process certainly induce enough ear vomiting that I would think people who supposedly care about how things sound would wise up eventually. But it's also part of a bigger picture. Bands are getting paid less and less, meaning the payoff to investment ratio is skewed, so looking for ways to save $$$, etc etc. I mean, it's one thing to invest in a quality recording to get booked at $1000 gigs, gas at $1.50 a gallon, etc. Another when it's $50 gigs and $3 a gallon. I get it. Just wish it would reverse itself.
Nobtwiddler

Post by Nobtwiddler »

"I get it. Just wish it would reverse itself."

Don't hold your breath !
Go Figure

Cheers
PO
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I wonder how much the live world was/is responsible for holding everything together. Scenes and all of that. Seems to me that that would be the prime vector for word of mouth.

Of course when they say live music is doing great, they're usually talking about huge festivals and top name acts.

The economics of the situation certainly don't help.
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

Business? There is no business in Fairfield, CA. Dead spot of the universe. Not even a music bar.
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

*Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White???? *