Thoughts on monitors...

Gear, technique, and general chit chat
meloco_go

Re: Thoughts on monitors...

Post by meloco_go »

Bob Olhsson wrote: March 11th, 2018, 3:51 pm Every single choice should be on a musical level. I think our problem today is too many choices based on fashion or hero worship and not enough actual mastery of an instrument. Fingers have a greater effect on sound than any recording gear.
I agree. But all I can do is slightly push musicians with whom I work towards making as many choices as possible during recording.
However, the reality is that a lot of what every band does is rooted in imitation.
And I believe every creator starts by imitation at first.
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

I’m sick to death (and bored to tears) by generic cookie cutter “HAVE TO do it this way” records.
There isn’t any reason why every metal record has to have a particular drum sound or every pop record has to have a certain vocal sound etc.

Someone needs to lead; not follow.
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

Adele proved that you can still sell records if they are good enough.
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

Bob Olhsson wrote: March 11th, 2018, 3:51 pm Every single choice should be on a musical level. I think our problem today is too many choices based on fashion or hero worship and not enough actual mastery of an instrument. Fingers have a greater effect on sound than any recording gear.
^^^THIS^^^

There's too much stupid "playing with sounds" and not enough playing music.

And this is promoted out the ass by all the "gizmo pimps" and all the leeches enabled by them who prey on aspiring musicians and engineers who have nobody real to turn to.

"This is the way it's done!"

Sez who? Sez you Mr. Internet "expert"?

BTW, saw Beetlejuice again last night.
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlsson
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

*Hey, if I'm Grumpy, where the hell is Snow White???? *
weedywet

Post by weedywet »

John Eppstein wrote: March 12th, 2018, 4:23 am...
Steve Albini?
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

Bob Olhsson wrote: March 11th, 2018, 5:08 pm Adele proved that you can still sell records if they are good enough.
Currently, there's a band over here which generated a huge following in a little more than a year. They already gather huge crowds, got onto a national TV etc.
There's nothing original about their records. But songs are ridiculously catchy and feel honest.
nobby

Post by nobby »

weedywet wrote: March 11th, 2018, 5:00 pm I’m sick to death (and bored to tears) by generic cookie cutter “HAVE TO do it this way” records.
There isn’t any reason why every metal record has to have a particular drum sound or every pop record has to have a certain vocal sound etc.

Someone needs to lead; not follow.
^^ this sums up my attitude

It makes things more challenging though, because you're in uncharted waters on a cloudy night much of the time.

I've got to say that sometimes I would be thrilled by a conventional sounding whatever because it sounds better than what I've come up with.

For example, I would love a "perfect" kick drum sound that has been used on hundreds of records because I'm using different notes, chords, lyrics, riffs/ hooks from other songs to start with.

If I can't make original music using fairly conventional guitar, drums, bass, etc. sounds, that's a failure of imagination on my part.

But as I see it, there is a fairly wide range of what is acceptable if you listen to records through the ages. Trying to follow the latest trend is like a dog chasing its tail.

Okay, back to the loudspeaker discussion :stg:
Bob Olhsson

Post by Bob Olhsson »

There's plenty of evidence that we have a few generations who are bored to tears with recorded music in general. It's all about people wanting to listen over and over. The way you do that is by being unabashedly yourself.
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

weedywet wrote: March 12th, 2018, 5:09 am
Steve Albini?
Or Ethan. Not quite sure.
Everything is some mixture of awesome and suck. We simply want the awesome to be highlighted sufficiently that it distracts listeners from the suck.

Andy_D

Post by Andy_D »

An observation from someone firmly stuck in the home-crowd ITB so feel free to use it as you will.

I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5's. I downgraded from my previous Alesis M1's due to having kids and moving! But I have hated these monitors which were bought primarily due to size and cost since day one.

That was until I plugged them into a new interface and all of a sudden they came alive. Nothing else had changed, no position, EQ or other settings but literally just changed what they were plugged into and now whilst I still miss my M1s the KRKs no longer make me want to throw them out of the window.

I believe there are definite pairings that will work better than others.
Andy_D

Post by Andy_D »

Steve Albini?
Steve Albini...
Steve Albini...
Steve Albini...

(waits for Steve to appear)
nobby

Post by nobby »

He showed up at the Womb, but he left shortly thereafter because he didn't like the way we responded to his arrogance and ignorance.
John Eppstein

Post by John Eppstein »

Andy_D wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 11:10 am
Steve Albini?
Steve Albini...
Steve Albini...
Steve Albini...

(waits for Steve to appear)
Actually I was thinking of The Audio Expert.