Perfection and audio correction tools.

Repository for resources on recording, mixing, and production - link it up with a description or post your own
keks

Perfection and audio correction tools.

Post by keks »

Guys and gals,
I made a new video sorting through my thoughts about perfection in music and how software might or might not help.
And why not. :lol:

I plan a lot more videos in the future and I have my process of taping sorted out enough that I'll put out content more often.
If you want to support me, I'd appreciate you guys and gals using the usual channels to do so :-)

All the best,
the keks
nobby

Post by nobby »

Very well put.

I hope this isn't just preaching to the choir.

I think of 2 types of perfection:

Mathematical perfection, and impact. For the reasons you mentioned, they are unlikely to coexist peacefully.

The first, as you describe, is quantizing, gridlocking :stg: autotuning.

You and I would use these tools if there is something that bothers us.

Many people seem to sanitize the music as a matter of course, all the way through, which to me is counterproductive, basically barking up the wrong tree.

I listen to a lot of old Rock because that was the 2nd type of perfection.

It has soul, groove, impact. I was just listening to a song from 1966-67.

It would have been recorded to 8 track. There were 2 main ways to achieve impact at that time while making a recording:

Either the band contains really great musicians, or far more common (I think, at least on hit records) using the lead singer and bringing in session players.

This would have kept editing to a minimum, which would have been much more difficult and limited back then.

It never would have occurred to people that sucking the life out of the music would ever be a good idea, and the amount of editing would have been prohibited.

Now, it's a piece of cake.

Further, there are plenty of "experts" and tutorials on how to murder your music.

The whole thing has made me sadistic :twisted:

Feel free to give people good advice -- I don't care any more.

As long as it isn't my music being fucked up, I don't care.

My attitude has become, here, have a bigger gun to shoot yourself in the foot with. The shittier your music sounds, the better mine will sound in comparison :twisted:
nobby

Post by nobby »

I shared it on the page of a friend whose initials are K.G.

Unfortunately, that's his friends and family page.

The real prize would be his group page.

The timing would be perfect, because he just posted this tip:
User Tip:
Use "Strength" Quantize when you can. Not everything needs to be quantized completely and perfectly on the grid.
This is verbatim.

A couple of us older kids opined immediately :twisted:

He has many followers, so you may get a few death threats :lol: , but they would be from teenagers who can't afford airfare to your region.

Is there a way we can do this? :twisted:
keks

Post by keks »

nobby wrote: August 3rd, 2019, 9:40 pm

He has many followers, so you may get a few death threats :lol: , but they would be from teenagers who can't afford airfare to your region.

Is there a way we can do this? :twisted:
Do what?
Airfare for warfaring strangers?
Uhm...
:lol: :hp:

Thanks for your thoughts and efforts!
All the best,
the keks
nobby

Post by nobby »

keks wrote: August 4th, 2019, 8:09 pm Do what?
Share it on K.G.'s group page where there are probably a thousand people who think everyone has quantized everything for hundreds of years and to do otherwise is heresy*.

There are settings, though and I'm sure he has it locked down tighter than Fort Knox :uhoh:

* slight exaggeration