A mix I did recently

unitymusic

A mix I did recently

Post by unitymusic »

So this isn't me, it's a friend of mine, I just mixed it. But there a few things I did differently from what I'm used to, so any feedback would be much appreciated for going forward. That said, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

First thing, he sings in Spanish. I've known and played shows with this guy for over 10 years, and I've never heard him sing in Spanish haha. And I think he does it really well, but I had no idea what to do at first.

Also, normally I take my time and sit on stuff for a while when I try to mix, and for this I had less than 72 hours to deliver a finished mix, from the first time I ever heard the song, which was about 2:30am this past Saturday night/Sunday morning. He's in Mexico City right now haha, so I guess I'll find out how they liked it soon enough.

https://timkayemusic.bandcamp.com/track/mi-confesi-n
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

It sounds good on headphones, but perhaps a bit stark on my speakers. Not sure where to go with that. I'd like a bit more distance to the sound I suppose, but that's just me.

Reminds me of Jakob Bienenhalm in some ways (except for the comedy bit I assume).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF--rzQJIA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYR_DIH4DxQ

As for having less than 72 hours, inspiration usually comes in quality as opposed to quantity I think.
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

upstairs wrote: August 4th, 2018, 6:39 am It sounds good on headphones, but perhaps a bit stark on my speakers. Not sure where to go with that. I'd like a bit more distance to the sound I suppose, but that's just me.
I definitely agree with you there, the drums were programmed, so I did what I could in the time given. I wanted to mic the drums and reamp them to give a little more 'space' to them, exactly like you said, but I ran out of time and had what I thought were more important things to worry about.

I'll try to be more mindful of that next time - I appreciate the feedback, thank you.
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

Post by Rev. Juda$ Sleaze »

To begin with, the starkness was a bit of a shock. By the end I liked it.

Guess stark is just so rare these days. I think it helped with the retro feel.
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

Rev. Juda$ Sleaze wrote: August 4th, 2018, 9:42 am To begin with, the starkness was a bit of a shock. By the end I liked it.

Cool, yeah I never know about that sort of thing, but I think I get what you mean about "liking it by the end".

I don't personally like super slick/polished mixes, but I'm also always kind of trying to get there, so it's a weird balance which leads to a lot of self doubt.

Thanks for the feedback Rev!
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Rev. Juda$ Sleaze wrote: August 4th, 2018, 9:42 am To begin with, the starkness was a bit of a shock. By the end I liked it.

Well, since the title I think means My Confession, maybe a bit of starkness makes sense?