Accident

nobby

Accident

Post by nobby »

Another song I wrote...
I hope/ think this one is finally ready to be mastered.

Accident

Jonathan "nobby" Boose: vocals, guitars

Steve Boose: bass guitar

Duane Foshee: drums

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x77qtsopn9h64 ... 1.wav?dl=0
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

Very nice! Is this recent?

The competition is starting to heat up around here.
nobby

Post by nobby »

Gronk wrote: March 12th, 2018, 10:18 am Very nice!
Thanks!
Is this recent?
Not to get too Bill Clinton, but it depends on what your definition of "recent" is.

I've worked on it for years on the one hand. Like the rest of the songs on the album. But it won't be a recent release until the near future :lol: :hp:
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

Soon to be recent!
Tim Halligan

Post by Tim Halligan »

Cool!

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I didn't want to revisit this mix but I think this is a lot better.

I left the original mix up -- comment if you'd like.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ziytxc90zilug ... 1.wav?dl=0
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Way better I agree. I feel like the guitar on the left, while doing the arpeggio bits, sometimes gets in the way of the all-important rhythm. I think/hear rock'n'roll is about drums and bass though more than guitar, so maybe it's just me. But to me this song would be better off with the drums and bass in focus with the left-guitar serving as nice harmonic texture, out of focus, during those parts.

Other than that I think it's solid. EXCEPT a pet peeve with vocals, also maybe just me, which is your downward inflection at the end of some phrases. 0:26 "coal(?)" 0:35 "control". Almost every singer I know with a deeper voice slips into doing this - or maybe it's just your style. Your other downward inflections sound good though.

:drinks:
nobby

Post by nobby »

Thanks for listening!

I was using the arpeggios in the verses to create syncopation with the melody.
I'm not sure if anything else would work but one of my goals always is to do something unique, which causes me to stray off the reservation sometimes :wink:

"Almost every singer I know"

Nice to know I'm not alone :lol:

Yeah, that was a stylistic decision, or would have been had I thought about it. I didn't do it specifically to bug you :stg:

They tell you as a singer to de-emphasize the consonants; in this case, the 'l' at the end of "coal" and "control" have been pretty much removed entirely.
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

Post by Rev. Juda$ Sleaze »

I love the vocals and guitar solo in particular. In contrast to upstairs, the vocal inflections remind me of late 60's/early 70's psychedelic rock vocals and I like them the way they are.

A few things that immediately came to mind as I listened:

The riff feels a bit plodding, and could be a lot more exciting, IMHO. Some contrary motion from the bass, or anything that deviates from the guitar line when they are both playing, in the second part of the phrase would really add a lot, IMHO. I also feel like the drums could do with being a bit more exciting during the guitar riff to give more distinction between the verse and the guitar riff bit.

I prefer the second mix, and the bass tone sounds better (love hearing the frets on the slides), but the bass is overpowering. There's a big bloom around 100Hz that is overpowering the song.

Really cool though! :)
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Rev. Juda$ Sleaze wrote: November 14th, 2018, 5:01 pmIn contrast to upstairs, the vocal inflections remind me of late 60's/early 70's psychedelic rock vocals and I like them the way they are.
I like the style of singing in general, to be clear. Just those two bends in particular. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Or cut my feet off lest they get cold.
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze

Post by Rev. Juda$ Sleaze »

upstairs wrote: November 15th, 2018, 2:17 am
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze wrote: November 14th, 2018, 5:01 pmIn contrast to upstairs, the vocal inflections remind me of late 60's/early 70's psychedelic rock vocals and I like them the way they are.
I like the style of singing in general, to be clear. Just those two bends in particular. I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Or cut my feet off lest they get cold.
Ah, sorry, didn't mean to sound like you were being generally disparaging. :)
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs edit: the / was missing in the first [/quote] tag, messed it all up, fixed for ya
Rev. Juda$ Sleaze wrote: November 14th, 2018, 5:01 pm I love the vocals and guitar solo in particular. In contrast to upstairs, the vocal inflections remind me of late 60's/early 70's psychedelic rock vocals and I like them the way they are.
A few things that immediately came to mind as I listened:

The riff feels a bit plodding, and could be a lot more exciting, IMHO. Some contrary motion from the bass, or anything that deviates from the guitar line when they are both playing, in the second part of the phrase would really add a lot, IMHO.
I don't know. I kind of want that riff to be strident, up in your grill like the subject matter :wink:
I also feel like the drums could do with being a bit more exciting during the guitar riff to give more distinction between the verse and the guitar riff bit.
I honestly don't think there needs to be more distinction between the verse and chorus -- I think there's plenty. It isn't like one of those songs where the difference between the verse and chorus is a tambourine :stg:
I prefer the second mix, and the bass tone sounds better (love hearing the frets on the slides), but the bass is overpowering. There's a big bloom around 100Hz that is overpowering the song.
Getting the low end to gel properly is a major challenge for me. My listening environment is less than ideal also, which doesn't help. There is either too much or not enough. Seems like a touch too much in a system with subs and just right in the car, my room and headphones. It's going to be professionally mastered; I don't think I can get it focused any better here.
Really cool though! :)
Thanks! Very cool of you guys to listen and comment, also. :cool:
nobby

Post by nobby »

keks

Post by keks »

I like it!
I have an overtly pumping acoustic guitar here, round the 0:50 mark.
Otherwise I have a bobbing head. :stg:

Edit: Just referencccing your last mix, which seems much more dynamic and powerful.
I guess you overcooked things here, to a degree.
nobby

Post by nobby »

Thanks, Keks. I thought I heard something punching through last night while listening to it in my car but I couldn't quite suss it out, thought it might be bass guitar. I think I should be able to isolate that and clean it up with a volume envelope without changing anything else.
nobby

Post by nobby »

keks wrote: April 30th, 2019, 7:51 am I like it!
I have an overtly pumping acoustic guitar here, round the 0:50 mark.
Otherwise I have a bobbing head. :stg:

Edit: Just referencccing your last mix, which seems much more dynamic and powerful.
I guess you overcooked things here, to a degree.
Uh... just realized you meant "previous" when you said last. So I just fixed the wrong one :hp:
nobby

Post by nobby »

or not...

Anyway, allow me to add to the confusion. This is same as the last, and previous mix but without the Gmin7 stepping as hard on 2nd syllable of "control" an the end of the couplet, which is at the 0:36 mark. Which on my DAW I believe is at the 0:50 mark. I ducked it 2dB.

I couldn't hear anything anomalous @ 0:50

Not saying there's nothing there, you may have better ears.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vvjrlk3irs1h5 ... 1.wav?dl=0