Song I recently shoved out my front door...

Cirrus

Song I recently shoved out my front door...

Post by Cirrus »

For the last ~10 years I've been songwriter and guitarist in a band, dealing with the art while others in the band dealt with the business. Over the last couple of years things have been slowing down on that front, while I continue to pump out new song ideas.

I prevaricated for quite a long time over doing a solo project because of the potential issues it might cause among my friends, and that people in the local music community see me as part of the band.

But, two of my three bandmates were really supportive, and eventually I decided to give it a go...

...leading to this, my first song release. It's one of a bunch of songs about the refugee crisis, and the way the media here in the UK dealt with it. Particularly, one absolutely disgusting article in a tabloid rag titled "Send in the Gunboats".

Learning how to use video editing software was fun.

Drums recorded at a local studio with a lovely bright, airy live room (in sound and in vibe, it's an old Victorian factory in Birmingham's Jewelry quarter) through a relatively rare old soundcraft desk, and the rest done in my band's rehearsal room.

Mixed in Harrison Mixbus 32c, which, I have to admit, I'm really, really impressed by. And, knowing that Youtube reduce the volume of everything video over -14 lufs, it was fun producing a relatively dynamic master with some headroom!
nobby

Post by nobby »

I like it :cool:

One fault, to me, which may not be a fault to you, is the enormous, to me, change in amplitude at 1:27. One of my pet peeves is getting sucker punched into turning up the volume at the quiet first part of the song and having to turn it down when it gets TOO FUCKIN' LOUD!! :lol:

I know, most of the songs in the early 1990s routinely did that, and what annoys me might seem cool to others, but I don't think the contrast was usually quite that stark.

To me, a Rock song should pass the "car test", meaning I want to be able to hear the essence of the song even with some background noise. With this mix, the quieter part would disappear if you crack open a window, I think.
Cirrus

Post by Cirrus »

Thanks for the comment, which I'd missed!

yes, big volume change. It's what felt right to me at the time in terms of creating impact, and since it wasn't mastered by someone else I don't know what they'd have done in terms of dynamics. I sent it to a few friends/ trusted ears first and they didn't raise it, but I've not listened to it in a car!
nobby

Post by nobby »

It wouldn't need to be an extreme change, maybe a dB or two.

But listen carefully to music in that style (Grunge?) and I think you'll find the difference between the verse and chorus to be not quite that extreme.

It is, of course, as usual, a matter of degree and a matter of opinion/taste.

PS Say hi to cumulonimbus for me :wink: