CARP 1: Theme Song, team Alwegot

Collaborative Audio Recording and Production
nobby

Re: CARP 1: Theme Song, team Alwegot

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: December 11th, 2017, 7:18 pm
nobby wrote: December 11th, 2017, 7:05 pm
upstairs wrote: December 11th, 2017, 6:53 pm If the vocal is bad I guess we're screwed in any case.
Why would it be? :uh:

It won't be Steve Tyler, but it won't be bad :cool:
The vocals sound rushed, also.
I assume that means bad :razz:
What I meant was that it would sound/ feel better a couple of BPM slower, IMO.

I think this is stylistically similar overall to the song we're working on.

I don't know if this tempo is too slow for some of us, but notice that it maintains high energy:

Toonman

Post by Toonman »

"chorus

G B C D x 4"

Actually, what I heard for the chorus was

G G/B C D

Am I splitting hairs?
nobby

Post by nobby »

No, I just didn't bother with it. I was listening to one of the versions with just bass and drums since I didn't have one with guitar in the new key. I figured you'd figure it out on your own, and I was right :smile:

I just wanted to locate the changes, basically.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

More hair splitting just to make sure we're all on the same page..

original chorus from keks:
A A/C# D E/G#

transposed:
G-G/B-C-D/F#

bass guitar goes:
G-B-C-F#

You could just do G-Bm-C-D or whatever fits well for your guitar part. The bassline can be adjusted.
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

I'll play with a few substitutions and see what feels better. Thanks!
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: December 12th, 2017, 5:33 pm More hair splitting just to make sure we're all on the same page..

original chorus from keks:
A A/C# D E/G#

transposed:
G-G/B-C-D/F#

bass guitar goes:
G-B-C-F#

You could just do G-Bm-C-D or whatever fits well for your guitar part. The bassline can be adjusted.
Yep.

On a keyboard, D/F# boils down to a very basic D chord, just the root and 3rd.

I've been giving my neighbor "guitar lessons", meaning I'd learn the guitar part to a radio hit and teach him the chords and rhythm.

I've noticed times where it was impossible to tell from listening to the record whether the guitar player was playing a D/F# or a D if the bass guitar is playing an F# due to masking in the mix.

And if you have 2 guitars or guitar and keyboard it's pretty common to have 2 different inversions to spice things up a bit.

I might overlay different inversions w/ keyboards or vocal harmonies at some points, see what works.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: December 12th, 2017, 7:48 pmI've noticed times where it was impossible to tell from listening to the record whether the guitar player was playing a D/F# or a D if the bass guitar is playing an F# due to masking in the mix.

And if you have 2 guitars or guitar and keyboard it's pretty common to have 2 different inversions to spice things up a bit.

I might overlay different inversions w/ keyboards or vocal harmonies at some points, see what works.
Yeah, I noticed that when listening to keks's (keks'? who the hell knows) demo. And then people have been trying to figure out the intro chord to "A Hard Day's Night" for years. Sure sounds great!
nobby

Post by nobby »

That's probably the ultimate example.

As fascinating as I find the Beatles, I wouldn't even attempt deconstructing that. Needle in a haystack.
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Okay, I decided to turn things around a little bit. I decided to substitute the major 7ths in the chorus (last F#) with dominant 7ths (F), since they tend to sound more "rock" to me. I also changed the tone of the guitars a bit, and since we're on D, decided to drop-tune. Obviously, because of all that, the riffs changed to accommodate all that. It's just a proposal, so let me know what you think (don't worry about all the clashes at this point... the guitars are clashing against the bass on that particular chord, between themselves in some parts, and there are some timing issues between all the instruments. We're still writing, I guess :-). Also... any consensus around the tempo for the song?

Next time, can we get separate files for the drums and bass? Will make things easier.

Maybe we should set up a Dropbox folder? Does everyone use it? I can get it up if you guys want.

Happy weekend!
Attachments
CAPE_1_v003.mp3
The clowns are still at it...
(2.7 MiB) Downloaded 1044 times
nobby

Post by nobby »

Toonman wrote: December 16th, 2017, 9:14 pm the guitars are clashing against the bass on that particular chord, between themselves in some parts, and there are some timing issues between all the instruments.
Uh huh.

I like your previous version a little better, along with the tone. But that tone might sound better when it isn't dominating the mix.
We're still writing, I guess :-)

I would call that arranging.

You can't possibly imagine what this will sound like with keyboards and vocals, so you are over-thinking it, imagining that your guitar will be carrying the production, which it won't. At least on my mix.
Also... any consensus around the tempo for the song?
Yeah, slower. You want to try dancing (or anything else) to that tempo? Upstairs is coming up with another drum track -- be patient. Maybe you missed a couple of earlier posts?
Next time, can we get separate files for the drums and bass? Will make things easier.
I agree. And since it's a sin to have a working B-15 at my disposal and not break it out from time to time, I will be submitting my own bass track which others can use or discard (my agent says I get paid the same either way :vuvu: )
Maybe we should set up a Dropbox folder?
Yes.

Does everyone use it?[/quote]

I can't speak for everyone, but I do. It's free and easy, unlike the early daze of FTP (anyone remember Cape 1 & 2?)
I can get it up if you guys want.
I can't speak for everyone, but as a heterosexual, I'll pass. Oh, you mean the Dropbox folder? :lol: I don't see why not. Unless you've run out of capacity in which case we could use mine or someone else's.
Happy weekend!
:yep: :cool:
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Okay. I would help also if someone came up with a keys part. That will definitely help me write something that will sit better with the song. As you said, I was making this very guitar-centric. With a keyboard in there I think I would stick to only 1 guitar part (maybe?), and be more sparse with all the fills and stuff.
I'll go back to what I was doing before then and work with that once we get the new drums posted.
I'll also SET UP the Dropbox folder and share it with everyone in this thread.
Cheers Nobby!
nobby

Post by nobby »

Toonman wrote: December 18th, 2017, 6:18 pm Okay. I would help also if someone came up with a keys part. That will definitely help me write something that will sit better with the song.
Can do.

We just need Upstairs to post the new drums track. He added some changes to the original verse and chorus, so he should add bass as a guide. It would be more or less like "draft 5 drums & bass" at a slower tempo.

Then I should be good to go.

I'm thinking I'll lay down some piano, you can add guitar(s) and I think I can add some B3 after that on the chorus, which shouldn't clash with the other parts (if it does, we'll chuck it).

I have to be careful with this -- it's also easy to crowd out guitars with keyboards.

One old trick, which I'll employ here, unless someone thinks it's a bad idea, is to submit mono keyboards so they can be hard panned to open up space for guitars.

It's a challenge, doing things this way as opposed to all being in the same room, but we shall prevail! :cool:
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: December 17th, 2017, 2:59 am
I can get it up if you guys want.
I can't speak for everyone, but as a heterosexual, I'll pass. Oh, you mean the Dropbox folder? :lol:
:rofl:

Alright I'm through being busy with other junk. Drums tomorrow or the next day, but I want to get a good take so if I have to dedicate time to rehearsing I will (very rusty, haven't played out in a couple years). Maybe shoulda thought of that before, eh?

Toonman, your most recent guitars (v003) are great I think. They've been growing on me quite steadily. The chorus is brilliant. The tone is a bit grating though, but it's just a demo. I don't think they're too dominating really, but we'll see.
It's a challenge, doing things this way as opposed to all being in the same room, but we shall prevail!
In deed!
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: December 19th, 2017, 5:03 pm
Alright I'm through being busy with other junk. Drums tomorrow or the next day, but I want to get a good take so if I have to dedicate time to rehearsing I will (very rusty, haven't played out in a couple years). Maybe shoulda thought of that before, eh?
:yep: That's cool. It's better to take a little extra time to get a good take.

There are a couple of things that I have to rehearse
And I'm not averse to another verse
Which I can write if time isn't tight
And it won't be trite if I take all night :vuvu:

This is the hardest part of the year to get things done for many of us due to extra activities between now and 3rd January with all the holiday madness.
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

nobby wrote: December 19th, 2017, 7:48 pm
And it won't be trite if I take all night :vuvu:
Is that REO Speedwagon?
nobby

Post by nobby »

I'm not sure. It could have been a Dodge Power Wagon.
It was dark out, and I only caught a glimpse of it.

If it makes it better instead of worse
And it won't be trite if I take all night
Attachments
reo.jpg
power-wagon[1].jpg
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

Noice. Prefer the truck to the band. Truck writes better lyrics imhfo.
nobby

Post by nobby »

I was never a big fan of the band.

The trucks look really cool, though IMO.
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

Truck is very cool. I didn't realise they pinched the name. The truck should sue for damages.
nobby

Post by nobby »

The band, Chicago, was originally named "The Chicago Transit Authority" which was the name of their 1st album.

Then they were sued by the Chicago Transit Authority, and changed the name to just "Chicago". I assume the city of Chicago never sued.
Attachments
chicagotransitauthority[1].jpg
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

I know that it's all subjective, but I can listen to Chicago and not vomit. Maybe I haven't heard the best REO Speedwagon stuff but they are one of the few bands that make me cringe. I don't usually heap shit on any music...they are the notable exception.
Have I got it wrong?
nobby

Post by nobby »

Chicago's first 2 albums are great, IMO. Their later stuff kind of lost me. The songwriting lost it's edge AFAIC.

REO, I can't exactly remember since I've spent decades switching stations as soon as they came on :vuvu:
meloco_go

Post by meloco_go »

Do you plan to make recorded session open? I'd love to give a shot mixing it, but I'm not sure I'd have time.
nobby

Post by nobby »

meloco_go wrote: December 23rd, 2017, 8:15 am Do you plan to make recorded session open?
I think I remember it was decided to be a MixIt, so everyone gets to do a mix.
I'd love to give a shot mixing it, but I'm not sure I'd have time.
You don't have to participate, if you can show a note from your doctor that certifies that you're physically, emotionally, or mentally disabled.

Or if you don't have the time. But you can always turn it in late.
:wink:

The parts aren't close to being done yet, so maybe you'll have more time when they are. I want to hear your mix (eventually) :cool:
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I guess I'm taking a Christmas break here, but I've been rehearsing drums. And watching a lot of hockey.

Just so you guys don't think I'm going AWOL or anything, ya know.
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

No worries. Same here. I've been out for the count starting with the mandatory holiday celebrations, which culminated with me spending the last two days having tons of fun at a hospital (not as a direct result of the celebrations though. Some wish...)

Looking forward to some more takes. For now, Doc Brown told me to take it easy for a week. But as a good friend of mine always say... <in mechanical voice> "I'll be back"

Happy new year all!
keks

Post by keks »

So, how are we doing, folks?
Is there anything that I can do to propel this tune forward?
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

I think at this point, we just need the new drum track, right? Once that's done, I can go back to try out some new guitar parts. Or not. Who knows.
:-)
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Sorry, been a bit under the weather (stomach annoyances keeping me from getting good sleep...nothing serious though). I'll be back up to it in a few days; should have a track by the weekend. Hope you all had a good holiday season.
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

No hurries man. Take care!