CARP 1: Theme Song, team Alwegot

Collaborative Audio Recording and Production
Toonman

Re: CARP 1: Theme Song, team Alwegot

Post by Toonman »

Gronk wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 8:29 am
upstairs wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 7:46 am I dig it. Rough around the edges and keeps things moving. Nice tone, by the way.

I will hopefully be able to get off my ass and get the drums done tomorrow. I'll record to tape and upload a stereo track at first so you guys can judge me (harshly). I have to get out an old computer and probably reformat a hard drive in order to install an ADAT capable PCI card in order to use my el cheapo B******** (hail Uli!) ADA-8000 for up to 8 separate tracks for mixing purposes. I'll probably do kick, snare, mono overhead, and a front-of-kit mic. Maybe tom mics, but probably not. Ok, fuck the tom mics.
your timing's out for starters... :mm2:
Yeah. I know it's all over the place. I also don't like some parts on both sides clash with one another. I just got ideas down. I also feel it's kinda hectic. There are other things I'd like to try, but I think I'll need a track with no guitars so I don't get pulled by what's in there already.
Anyway... it's gonna be back to the drawing board.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Well I thought the hectic feel was pretty cool. I'd like it if we could keep some element of that. Drums en route.
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

Toonman wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 5:27 pm
Gronk wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 8:29 am
upstairs wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 7:46 am I dig it. Rough around the edges and keeps things moving. Nice tone, by the way.

I will hopefully be able to get off my ass and get the drums done tomorrow. I'll record to tape and upload a stereo track at first so you guys can judge me (harshly). I have to get out an old computer and probably reformat a hard drive in order to install an ADAT capable PCI card in order to use my el cheapo B******** (hail Uli!) ADA-8000 for up to 8 separate tracks for mixing purposes. I'll probably do kick, snare, mono overhead, and a front-of-kit mic. Maybe tom mics, but probably not. Ok, fuck the tom mics.
your timing's out for starters... :mm2:
Yeah. I know it's all over the place. I also don't like some parts on both sides clash with one another. I just got ideas down. I also feel it's kinda hectic. There are other things I'd like to try, but I think I'll need a track with no guitars so I don't get pulled by what's in there already.
Anyway... it's gonna be back to the drawing board.
I was actually referring to the timing of getting off his ass, but nevermind, carry on! :gh:
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Haha. Ok then. Still, those parts really need work. I'll go for "hectic" then. Still not sure exactly where I want them to go, but I'll set out for the direction you had pointed at originally.
I'll do more work on it once we got those drums (and maybe a bass groove?) going. Rock n'roll!
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Well my drums are uh...rock'n'roll, I guess is the term. Spent most of the day setting up and trying to get a decent sound in the not so good room. My snare is a bit brash but I like it. Uploading in a few minutes...
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I never said I was a GOOD drummer, mind you

some sketchy bits around 1:57
Attachments
draft.mp3
(7.48 MiB) Downloaded 612 times
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

So, is it usable? Is it good enough to get some scratch bass and guitars happening?

....Should I change my username to Dumbass? :lol:
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I did some EQing - got rid of some bite on the top end and got the bass more happening. Maybe it'll be a bit more inspirational. Sounds better on all of my systems. It's also somewhat stereo.
Attachments
draft2fix.mp3
(7.48 MiB) Downloaded 619 times
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

I'll take a listen tonight. Curious as to what you've come up with.
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

I wrote a gearslutz theme song once, haha.

For the good of the community I will sit this one out, but I'll have a listen to what gets posted and give some feedback that you're free to ignore.

https://soundcloud.com/sageandstone/so- ... ittle-time
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

unitymusic wrote: December 6th, 2017, 8:07 pm I wrote a gearslutz theme song once, haha.

For the good of the community I will sit this one out, but I'll have a listen to what gets posted and give some feedback that you're free to ignore.

https://soundcloud.com/sageandstone/so- ... ittle-time
I swear I've heard that before. :yep:

Uh, well, I've had another listen today and my drums I think are a much worse mess than Toonman's guitars. I'll rerecord them..

BUT I did have some fun and made a thing. The guitar wankery is out of tune/key and pretty much a-musical, and not indicative of anything that is supposed to occur in the future. Names have been changed to protect the guilty. Shield your ears.
Attachments
draft3edit.mp3
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 610 times
nobby

Post by nobby »

Oh my goodness.

There will be a bidding war between car companies to determine who gets to license this for the super bowl half time.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

You better have good stage presence 30 years from now.

Here's with just scratch bass for Toonman to git his git getting. Not sure how the chords in the first verse I played will work, but I think they're kinda neat. Thoughts?

I also used too much overhead for the first prints. It sounds cleaner now.
Attachments
draft4.mp3
(7.25 MiB) Downloaded 618 times
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: December 7th, 2017, 6:01 pm You better have good stage presence 30 years from now.
No problem. Just exhume my mummified remains from my sarcophagus and use soft robotics to make me dance.

Add silver spandex, a pink wig and heavy eye shadow and I'm good to go. Nobody will know I'm corpse-synching.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: December 7th, 2017, 6:14 pm
upstairs wrote: December 7th, 2017, 6:01 pm You better have good stage presence 30 years from now.
No problem. Just exhume my mummified remains from my sarcophagus and use soft robotics to make me dance.

Add silver spandex, a pink wig and heavy eye shadow and I'm good to go. Nobody will know I'm corpse-synching.
Holograms are for buskers!
keks

Post by keks »

upstairs wrote: December 7th, 2017, 6:01 pm I also used too much overhead for the first prints. It sounds cleaner now.
I would have expected more toms, from your initial input.
(And it sounds to me that you could use lighter brass that you could actually smack without messing up the balance.)

I think your drum track is totally usable.
The bass needs some serious overhaul, though :-)
I liked the guitar ideas further up, as well!

So, how shall we proceed?
Could you make an uncompressed wav available?
That should help to keep the project in sync, mp3s are rather messy in this regard.
I could provide ftp space for file exchange and I possibly could track some guide tracks over the next week.
Is anyone lacking anything to do his or her thing?
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

I'll re-work the guitars this weekend. Hopefully, I can come up with something decent. Although I'm not really know for my decency... :stg:
nobby

Post by nobby »

keks wrote: December 8th, 2017, 11:17 am
(And it sounds to me that you could use lighter brass that you could actually smack without messing up the balance.)

Telling the Producer what to do? :yowza:

This will be coming out of your pay :bh:
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

keks wrote: December 8th, 2017, 11:17 am
upstairs wrote: December 7th, 2017, 6:01 pm I also used too much overhead for the first prints. It sounds cleaner now.

I think your drum track is totally usable.
I liked the guitar ideas further up, as well!

So, how shall we proceed?
Could you make an uncompressed wav available?
That should help to keep the project in sync, mp3s are rather messy in this regard.
I could provide ftp space for file exchange and I possibly could track some guide tracks over the next week.
Is anyone lacking anything to do his or her thing?
Yeah, I usually do the "start with overheads and supplement with close mics" thing but the opposite worked better in this case, and I didn't mic toms.

I've been wanting some Ks, but we'll have to make do.

I don't even pretend to be a bass player. As if there's any benefit in doing so :lol: Speaking of which, I'll upload just drums (with the better mix) tomorrow if Mr. Halligan would like to work his wonders. Or you can do scratch bass, whatever.

I'll see if I have time to retrack drums over the weekend. Assume that I won't. If I do maybe I can bash the cymbals up a bit and use even less overhead, but that might get weird. I'd mic toms as well.

Some of those kick notes bug me. The fill at the beginning is dragged but it could work if everyone can manage to come in on time. The end is rushed but it could be exciting.
nobby wrote:This will be coming out of your pay :bh:
Or out of face time in the video :lol:

FTP space would be cool. For now I've set the limit for attachments to 100MB, but it's an awfully slow upload.
Attachments
draft5_drumsandbass.wav
(47.95 MiB) Downloaded 650 times
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Hey, the tempo changed, right?
Here's a new version. The parts are coming together, although I need to tighten some sections more. Also, tried a new tone.
So... did you just keep playing by inertia, or are there new sections of the song we haven't heard yet? Did I miss something?
Rock on!
:razz:
Attachments
CAPE_1_v002.mp3
Better clownfucking! According to my mom.
(2.72 MiB) Downloaded 615 times
nobby

Post by nobby »

Toonman wrote: December 10th, 2017, 4:12 am Hey, the tempo changed, right?

No, the key did.
Did I miss something?
Yes, we transposed it to D last month, so I could sing it.

I like the tone and riffs, FWIW.
Rock on!
:razz:
:drinks:
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Aw, crap. Completely failed to notice the last draft. Gotta stop eating halloween candy leftovers.
New guitars will be in soon.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Well I'm pretty sure it's in G ('twas A before). Keks could probably give you the real answer.

Here's the chart you've probably found, in PDF for your convenience
http://www.recpit.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=472

With two possible changes, heard in draft3edit.mp3 (the rest of it is totally ignorable on your discretion, unless keks likes something)

- The first four bars of the first verse
- The first prechorus (the riff I played over the B-C bass is pretty catchy I think)

Not sure if either of those will work later in the song (or at all). Maybe it's best to have them just in the beginning. I like 'em though.

For right now you can use draft5_drumsandbass for getting your guitar sorted (I like what you're doing so far) - unless my crappy bass playing messes you up.
nobby

Post by nobby »

The verses are D, the chorus is G.

Feel free to argue which key that makes the song, overall. I guess since if you add a D to a G you have a G chord, maybe that's the winning touchdown. As long as we're all using the same chords, it matters not.

Verse

D C G D x2

D C B G

D C G D

prechorus

Bm C x2

chorus

G B C D x 4

bridge

E

E D x3

Bm C x3

D C G D x2

Bm C

G B C D x 4

E D x 8

E

That's what I'm hearing, anyway.

Thanks for not forcing me to sing in another key and jack it up with melodyne, although that might have been interesting :mm2:
nobby

Post by nobby »

Am I the only one who thinks this tempo is too fast?

I hate to be the only one complaining here, but...

The only Rock & Roll I've found so far at this tempo is a 1957 version of Jerry Lee Lewis "Whole lotta Shakin' Goin On".

His playing on that is sloppy as hell, which is all in good fun, I suppose.

I'll work with it, but only after a glass of whine.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Yeah, I might agree... It might get a bit boggy unless Toonman can keep it lively with eighth notes or whatever he's doing on guitar. That could work. But it sounds great in his last upload.

Keks, what say you? Would it kill the feel or help it? I'm erring on the side of nobby having to deal with it :stg:
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: December 11th, 2017, 5:49 pm Yeah, I might agree... It might get a bit boggy unless Toonman can keep it lively with eighth notes or whatever he's doing on guitar.
A slightly slower tempo makes it possible to insert more elaborate riffs and fills regardless of instrument.

I've been playing keyboards for over half a century.

Slow that down a couple of BPM and I guarantee it won't get boggy :wink:

The current tempo handcuffs me to a radiator.

The vocals sound rushed, also.

In this situation, you are the producer and we are the session players. Ideally, the producer would have a good idea of the capabilities of the musicians, but in this case you can't. You'll just have to have a little faith :smile:

If you, as producer, insisted on this whiplash inducing tempo :stg: , I as a session player would ask you for examples of music at this tempo that you believe sound great. Maybe I'm missing something.

You don't have to slow it this much, but I believe this is a standard tempo for Rock & Roll. At what point does it sound like it's bogging down? :smile:

upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Alright, you make a strong point. If the vocal is bad I guess we're screwed in any case. I might even be able to do some real fills...

I'll be open to retrack drums in a few days.
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: December 11th, 2017, 6:53 pm If the vocal is bad I guess we're screwed in any case.
Why would it be? :uh:

It won't be Steve Tyler, but it won't be bad :cool:
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: December 11th, 2017, 7:05 pm
upstairs wrote: December 11th, 2017, 6:53 pm If the vocal is bad I guess we're screwed in any case.
Why would it be? :uh:

It won't be Steve Tyler, but it won't be bad :cool:
The vocals sound rushed, also.
I assume that means bad :razz: