CARP 1: Theme Song, team Alwegot

Collaborative Audio Recording and Production
upstairs

CARP 1: Theme Song, team Alwegot

Post by upstairs »

Let's make a recpit theme song, shall we?

Producer: upstairs (I'm calling the shots for this one!)
Songwriter: Keks
Auxiliary Lyrics and Melody: Nobby*
Mixer:
(Mastering if someone wants to):

Vocal: Nobby*
Guitar: Toonman
Backup Guitar: Keks
Bass: Tim the Tradesman
Keys: Nobby*
Drums: upstairs

*Open to negotiation

State your preferences for what you'd like to do in order. If you think we need a bitchin' tamb track in there or anything else, that's cool too.

For me it's drums, guitar, bass, etc.

If someone has a decent drum room, however, I may not be the best choice as my living room isn't particularly great sounding. I can also attempt to sing but that's really iffy.

I've never done an online collab before, so this is new territory. I'll read up more on the archives on how it's done: https://web.archive.org/web/20101202031 ... .php?t=613 This should be fairly casual though...just don't want to draw it out for too long.

UPDATED DEADLINE: January 12th
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

I volunteer for 6-string wanking. Got warez. I smell decently and wear pants (generally). I sound like a winner!
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

You're in. Kilts are required for any live performances or photo ops, however.
keks

Post by keks »

I'm in!
Plank spanking as well, or I could whip together some chords and lyrics.
I'd need some input, though.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Alright, we can brainstorm that here. As I sit here with my feet up on the desk (a money desk) and a cigarette:

I'm thinking something bombastic.
Wild guitars. Flying all over the place kinda guitars.
Banging drums.
Semiambiguous melancholy lyrics.
And I want loads of Lexicon. On everything.
You know, a hit!
keks

Post by keks »

upstairs wrote: November 13th, 2017, 7:59 pm I'm thinking something bombastic.
Wild guitars. Flying all over the place kinda guitars.
Banging drums.
Semiambiguous melancholy lyrics.
And I want loads of Lexicon. On everything.
You know, a hit!
so...

...more green?
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Alright, let's say start off with something like the drum intro for New Rose by The Damned. Or just rip that off basically (just the drums). Then it plateaus off with a chord into something calmer and steadier. Chorus, etc etc, fade out on the main groove - just in case we ever use it for a podcast.

I've got a vision, baby! :lol:

Use your imagination with that. Keep it generally in major tonality I guess. Making it overtly "theme-songy" is fine.

Green, red, orange, blue. Avoid purple please!
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

CARP Diem!
Tim Halligan

Post by Tim Halligan »

I can have a bash at the bass for you...but don't expect miracles.

Tradesman-like-ish would probably be the best description.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Tim and the Tradesmen - All We Got (Theme from RecPit)

Looks proper!
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Alright, I guess I better be a good team leader. Here's a schedule. Let me know if there's any problems.

Songwriting: Basic structure finished by Monday the 20th. If you want to send me drafts in the meantime Keks, feel free. Upload here or send me a PM. You could do it in audio or written out, whatever you think is necessary to get the vibe across. If we need more time we can push it all back a bit, but one can easily get lost in songwriting in my experience.

I should be able to have the drums done a few days after that. Friday the 24th.

Then whoever is available can get some scratch guitar on top of that for harmonicanizational purposes. Having that done by Monday the 27th would be great.

Bass bashing ensues until Monday, December 4th.

Plank spanking until Monday, December 11th.

Vocals until Monday, December 18th.

Getting pretty close to Christmas and New Years, so it'll be a do-whatever period until Tuesday, January 2nd. Any retracking could be done in this period, and a mix can be at least started.

Then an official period for mix completion until Monday, January 8th. If anyone wants to master it, we should have the whole thing done by Friday, January 12th

Then if it turns out to suck, we can regard all of the above as preproduction.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

If anyone wants to Skype I can download it.
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: November 14th, 2017, 8:14 pm Then if it turns out to suck,
the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions
nobby

Post by nobby »

If no one else shows up for the gig, I can contribute lyrics, melody line, vocals and keyboards as needed.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Stellar.
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: November 13th, 2017, 5:48 pm
State your preferences for what you'd like to do in order. If you think we need a bitchin' tamb track in there or anything else, that's cool too.

For me it's drums, guitar, bass, etc.

I've never done an online collab before, so this is new territory.
That sounds like an interesting approach. I would normally start with a song. So I'd have a scratch vocal, some combination of guitar or two and/or keyboards, maybe bass, with a click track and send it to the drummer via dropbox.

Playing multiple overdubs to a click track with no drums is kind of brutal, but it's necessary for that approach.

This is different and a refreshing change of pace for me, and I like a challenge. And having other tracks, especially drums, already done makes things easier.

Basically, if you start with drums you have to determine the length of the song, number of verses and where the chorus goes, without having the song already written.

I think you can basically use a song you like for a template and it should be alright.

Hard to tell in advance where or if a bridge is needed, but if you designate 8 bars where one might go, we'll fill it up :wink:

And I suppose you could edit one in later, if need be.
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Need... demo... must... get... vibe... across...
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I guess I wasn't very clear, though that does sound like an interesting challenge. I meant that, after Keks writes the song (chord progression and general bar structure, hopefully with a melody and some lyrical ideas), he can upload that and I'll do drums (along with a click or not) independently, to its structure. Then we'll get the scratch guitar in to provide some extra basis for Tim's bass, which I think would be nice for him.

An audio demo would be nice. That's on Keks.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Oh and online collaboration as a whole is new territory for me. Trial by fire?
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: November 15th, 2017, 8:16 pm I guess I wasn't very clear, though that does sound like an interesting challenge. I meant that, after Keks writes the song (chord progression and general bar structure, hopefully with a melody and some lyrical ideas), he can upload that and I'll do drums (along with a click or not) independently, to its structure. Then we'll get the scratch guitar in to provide some extra basis for Tim's bass, which I think would be nice for him.

An audio demo would be nice. That's on Keks.
Ah, okay, I missed that. That should work.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I'd like to go without a click if possible :uhoh:
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: November 15th, 2017, 8:25 pm Oh and online collaboration as a whole is new territory for me. Trial by fire?
I think you'll be fine. This is like a flight simulator with a safety net. I don't see an unusually large number of civilian casualties or harmed pets resulting from this.
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: November 15th, 2017, 8:58 pm I'd like to go without a click if possible :uhoh:
That's between you and Keks.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: November 15th, 2017, 9:01 pmI think you'll be fine. This is like a flight simulator with a safety net. I don't see an unusually large number of civilian casualties or harmed pets resulting from this.
Depends on how many Chinese LDCs are involved.

So who's gonna mix this thing?
unitymusic

Post by unitymusic »

So, seeing as there's no "mixer" yet, I propose that the tracks get uploaded for everyone to take a stab at it. Then either pick the best ones to vote on, or let someone try to incorporate all the best ideas, etc...
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

unitymusic wrote: November 15th, 2017, 11:17 pm So, seeing as there's no "mixer" yet, I propose that the tracks get uploaded for everyone to take a stab at it. Then either pick the best ones to vote on, or let someone try to incorporate all the best ideas, etc...
I'm fine with that :yep:

A combined CARP and mix-off
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Like the idea too. I'd just like to know who provides guidelines for the arrangement. Produce by comitee? Just asking.
I guess I can just wait until I hear the first ideas come around, and ask if needed.
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Okay. Here's a shot at 6-string-wanking on this thing. It's kinda all over the place, and I'm still not sure which direction I wanna take with it. Still, I thought it would be cool to post to get some feedback (even if it's "Fuck you"). So, here goes.
Attachments
CAPE_1_gtrs.mp3
Clownfucking guitars
(2.87 MiB) Downloaded 538 times
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I dig it. Rough around the edges and keeps things moving. Nice tone, by the way.

I will hopefully be able to get off my ass and get the drums done tomorrow. I'll record to tape and upload a stereo track at first so you guys can judge me (harshly). I have to get out an old computer and probably reformat a hard drive in order to install an ADAT capable PCI card in order to use my el cheapo B******** (hail Uli!) ADA-8000 for up to 8 separate tracks for mixing purposes. I'll probably do kick, snare, mono overhead, and a front-of-kit mic. Maybe tom mics, but probably not. Ok, fuck the tom mics.
Gronk

Post by Gronk »

upstairs wrote: December 3rd, 2017, 7:46 am I dig it. Rough around the edges and keeps things moving. Nice tone, by the way.

I will hopefully be able to get off my ass and get the drums done tomorrow. I'll record to tape and upload a stereo track at first so you guys can judge me (harshly). I have to get out an old computer and probably reformat a hard drive in order to install an ADAT capable PCI card in order to use my el cheapo B******** (hail Uli!) ADA-8000 for up to 8 separate tracks for mixing purposes. I'll probably do kick, snare, mono overhead, and a front-of-kit mic. Maybe tom mics, but probably not. Ok, fuck the tom mics.
your timing's out for starters... :mm2: