Collaborative Audio Recording and Production
keks

Re: CARP 1: Theme Song, team Alwegot

Post by keks »

So...

is this dead?
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

I think life just took over. Keeping an eye open though.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Toonman wrote: May 6th, 2018, 8:56 pm I think life just took over. Keeping an eye open though.
Indeed. I certainly intend to keep going with it when the situation permits. It is a pretty banging tune, after all.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Alright, I've got an 87 coming in. When that's here I figure I'll use it as a front-of-kit mic, or perhaps a mono overhead if FOK doesn't work out. I'll slow down the tempo as we agreed upon, and we can get this going again.
keks

Post by keks »

I wrote this tune to the tom groove you specified in your directional post, you remember?
And, do you need additional parts or ideas for a cohesive form?
Or do we add as we go?
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

keks wrote: June 10th, 2018, 8:10 pm I wrote this tune to the tom groove you specified in your directional post, you remember?
And, do you need additional parts or ideas for a cohesive form?
Or do we add as we go?
Yes, I don't want to slow it down very much. Just a tad. I'll see if I can get those toms in there.

I think the guitars that Toonman suggested were pretty good and kept the song moving well enough. If you want to take the chart I uploaded and everything else and amalgamate them into a newly arranged demo with any other ideas for parts you might have for this second go-around, you could do that. It'll probably be another week until I do drums.

Man, producing is confusing! Maybe I should read MM's book.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Alright, took longer than expected, but I got the 87. Sounds lovely. Drums next weekend. Keks, I'll do a few quick shots of the set up and gear used, as you suggested in the other thread.
keks

Post by keks »

:yep: :omg:
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

My video camera is pretty lame, if you'll forgive me...
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Unfortunately, no new drums. I couldn't get them any better than what I did before. Not sure if it was my playing or the tuning or what, but they were lame. Recording drums at home is not for the faint of heart!

So, moving forward, we can either use the old drums, which are okayish, or someone else could do them, or someone who's willing could program them. The first two are my preference. Tim, can you play bass to what I've done?
draft2fix.mp3
(7.48 MiB) Downloaded 2202 times
Also I've realized being the producer and a player at the same time is a bad idea, at least for me.

SO

- We use the old drums, so long as Tim can play bass to them. At your leisure, Tim.

- I try to get Toonman back here to play guitar. If he doesn't show, I'll request Keks to perform this dirty deed.

- Nobby does keys and vocals (still in for that, right?)

As far as making a video, I can take some shots later of the setup and such for Keks to use. For now let's just worry about the song.
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: July 2nd, 2018, 1:43 am

- Nobby does keys and vocals (still in for that, right?)
Yep.
As far as making a video, I can take some shots later of the setup and such for Keks to use.
I'm thinking of rendering my parts as shadow play :stg:
For now let's just worry about the song.
Agreed :yep:
Tim Halligan

Post by Tim Halligan »

Ok.

Can somebody point me to the old drums?

I can have a go at that...

Is there a guide that will sync up with it?

Also...didn't we change key at some point to accommodate our singer?

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Great, Tim.

"draft2fix.mp3" in my post above are the old drums. I have the .wav on another computer if you prefer that.

Here's with Toonman's guitar, which is pretty close to what I think the final guitar should be like. He didn't play it all the way through, though.
http://www.recpit.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... t=60#p1232

Here's full length with my "drummer trying to play bass like a guitar" bass bit.
http://www.recpit.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... t=30#p1182

Here's a chart kinda thing. Starts at the beginning, goes all the way through and then back to the verse. The second time around the pre-chorus is cut down to one repetition and the "coffee break" is omitted. Then it will fade out on an E-D repetition. http://www.recpit.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=472

Also I think we may have changed the chords in the verse a bit. Refer to Toonman's guitar track. If you could keep it roughly similar to what I did in the intro and verse on the bass I recorded I'd prefer that, as I'm liking the feel (or at least the notes).

The key was moved down a tone and is reflected in all of the above.

Wing it if you have to :lol:
nobby

Post by nobby »

upstairs wrote: July 4th, 2018, 9:05 pm
Also I think we may have changed the chords in the verse a bit.
Is there any way to find out for sure? :vuvu:
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

nobby wrote: July 5th, 2018, 6:40 am
upstairs wrote: July 4th, 2018, 9:05 pm
Also I think we may have changed the chords in the verse a bit.
Is there any way to find out for sure? :vuvu:
Tell me, have you ever heard of The Moody Blues album "In Search of the Lost Chord"? Well, I found it. Then it wandered off again.
Tim Halligan

Post by Tim Halligan »

Cool.

I'll try and cobble something together after the weekend.

Cheers,
Tim
Tim Halligan

Post by Tim Halligan »

Sorry gents.

Life got in the way, so I won't get to this until next week...if all goes to plan.

Cheers,
Tim
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

Sorry for the downtime! Got busy with a lot of stuff lately, but I'm back. So... I'll keep an eye open for any new recordings to properly redo the guitars, unless anyone has a different idea. Cheers all!
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

upstairs wrote: June 18th, 2018, 5:45 am
keks wrote: June 7th, 2018, 9:47 amDoing a video documentary of CARP for youtube, as a transcontinental session band.
Is everyone in for this? Nobby, Toonman, Tim? If so I'll have to make sure to shoot video when I do the drums. Keks, are you in for video editing and "directing"? :smile: Or if someone else wants to. I don't think my computer can handle it, and I need to make a habit of not putting too much on my plate.
Totally in. Also... I can do video editing no problem, if needed. I can give everyone some tips on shooting video if anyone needs some too. Cheers!
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

Great. I believe we're waiting on Tim for the moment. Perhaps my drum track scared him away...
Toonman

Post by Toonman »

I guess we should continue this conversation over at the CARP thread. That's where you'd expect to see some action, I guess... maybe he's just missed it.
upstairs

Post by upstairs »

I went ahead and moved the posts there. Uh, here. Tim, could you give us an update?

I think entire bands' careers have came and went in a shorter amount of time (my fault as well) :eyeroll: